IGNORED

Speakers Recommendation for Decco2

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Linn Majik 109 would be a terrific choice.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

...dozens and dozens of recommendations (as well as responses asking you for your budget). So, here's my humble try at a response:

Your choice of a Decco2 probably ballparks your budget. I was in the very same place last year and I ended up buying the Decco2 and DS4.5 combo thanks to a extremely helpful and knowledgeable Jon Derda of Peachtree. The DS4.5s were designed by an acknowledged speaker designer for Peachtree and these monitors have a sound that belies their price point. Rather than regurgitate what's already been written, reviews are readily available. They have still have the attractive combo Decco2+DS4.5 combo deal on their site (if you haven't taken receipt of your Decco2).

--Frank

Mac Mini (G4) -> iTunes -> [Peachtree Decco2] [slim Devices Squeezebox 2] -> [Peachtree DS4.5][Grado SR80i]

If it's of any help, I know SevenOaks Sound and Vision sell the Peachtree line (not sure about the speakers), as does Leicester HiFi.

For an iPod dock I would look at Cambridge Audio iD100 or the new Arcam dock as they are future proofed in that they support iPads too.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'd check out the Cambridge S30 speakers; they have been getting really good reviews and they are reasonably priced. For an ipod dock, you might want to check out the plain vanilla docks that take a line out from the docking connector. I've been surprised by how good that can sound if implemented correctly. If you want a dock that takes a digital signal out, check out the pure I-20 which is a British company I believe. It is the least expensive solution of that type that I am aware of.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)