IGNORED

I don't understand

I don't understand any of these graphs etc. that I'm seeing on this part of the forum.

Can some kind soul point me to a layman's explanation of what I'm looking at so that I can try to understand this stuff and hopefully contribute at some point?

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Here is a Fourier Transform (aka frequency spectrum) of a track from a DVD-A rip from American Beauty (one of the few Grateful Dead studio albums that doesn't suck). It was sampled to 96kHz, which means that you potentially can see a frequency response up to 48 kHz:

Screen%20Shot%202011-12-01%20at%2011.22.21%20AM.png

Notice how it tapers off very naturally as you approach 48kHz. That is a good thing, because it means there shouldn't be any artifacts due to imposing an arbitrary cutoff.

Here is one (posted in the Liszt organ thread) that is sampled at 88.2 kHz, so it should show frequency extensions naturally tapering off as you approach 44.1 kHz (twice the Redbook CD frequency range):

Liszt-Schonheit-B.png

Notice in reality it is very abruptly chopped off at 22 kHz, corresponding to what a CD would have. This permits us to suggest that indeed it is simply upsampled CD (i.e., it is a fake high res file).

I think of this complementary view as a cross-section of the above, where false color intensity is now replaced with area under the curve. It shows very clearly there really is nothing beyond 22 kHz (maybe even 20 kHz):

Liszt-Schonheit-D.png

Finally, the so-called waveform shows if the dynamic range has been exceeded. In this case (same Liszt track) it looks good:

Liszt-Schonheit-A.png

If there is a lot of clipping, it suggests that the "loudness" has been artificially enhanced at the expense of maintaining a good dynamic range. Goldsdad found a nice example:

HDTracks%20Proud%20Mary%20DR9.png

You can see that this was a deliberate decision if you compare it to the original CD:

CD%20Proud%20Mary%20DR13.png

It would be impossible for me to overstate how much I appreciate you taking the time and effort to show me this. It all makes a lot more sense now and I can see what the graphs etc. are telling me.

I've downloaded Audacity, so I'll have a go at trying this out myself.

Thanks again.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's