IGNORED

What to do when the CD version sucks...

Happy Holidays everyone. I will be ripping my redbook CD's shortly. Some of my favorite albums sound MUCH better on vinyl than on CD. For example, when I play Dire Straits first album (self-titled) or their Making Movies albums and compare to CD, there is day-night difference. Yet other CD's, such as Lyle Lovett, sound just as good as the vinyl. Anyone have a clue as to why some recordings on CD are so terrible when clearly the original recording was great? Unable to find hi-res Dire Straits download anywhere.

re the Dire Straights S/T on CD, if you seek out the Vertigo, West German Target, or even the original Warner US pressing, I think you'll be very happy. If these don't sound good, you should look to your playback system. I haven't compared directly to the various vinyl pressings, but have in the past. This title in the above pressings is one of the best sounding CDs out there. (Personal opinions may vary...)

I agree that this recording is of extremely high quality and is one of the best sounding albums I own. Musically, it is pure Mark Knopler genius - absolutely beautiful, a masterpiece. My vinyl copy (original Japanese pressing that I bought when it was first released in 1979) sounds unreal, the CD version sounds washed out. Looking for a good digital version of one of the best albums ever made. I've played the vinyl record over 1000 times and it is getting worn. I will look for the CD's you recommended. Thank you.

I enjoy my Japanese SHM SACD hi rez version very much. From $55 on Amazon:

http://sa-cd.net/showreviews/6606

Not everyone likes SACD and would prefer something they can play via their computer, of course...

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification