IGNORED

Schiit Audio

I'm not going to wax poetic.

I, on the other hand, can tend to go on a bit. Sure you hadn't noticed. ;-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I would not worry too much about this:

"I recall once reading that "audio memory" is limited to something like 30 seconds."

I know that studies have shown the above to be true, but clearly these studies are missing something. I can easily remember the voice, over a telephone even, of an old friend I have not spoken to in years, and I am sure everyone here has had similar experiences. This probably comes down to a question of training-audiophiles who have trained themselves to listen critically for subtle differences in timbre, details, and ambience, will remember such details much more readily than the general population, who might not notice these differences at all.

RE: power cables. I agree that power cables which are heavily sheilded, with massive amounts of plastic jacketing are the wrong way to go. I have found that the oppposite direction is more likely to give good results with my DIY cables. But there are plenty of commercial cables with similar designs: Wy Wires, Nordost, and Shunyata (despite the fact that they are fat, they are actually woven in a hollow tube shape and the majority of the diameter is just the air inside the tube) all make power cables with no sheilding, and minimal amounts of jacketing and dialetric.

RE: Fuses-these continue to amaze me, ever since we started distributing the "Critical Link" fuses at PS Audio. It is ridiculous that fuses should make such a difference, and makes me uneasy: how much better would it sound if we eliminated the fuse alltogether-I hate thinking about that, but since my DIY DAC stays plugged in and powered up all the time, it is properly fused (with a Furutech)...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

As usual, barrows, I pretty much agree. I was confident enough in my impressions to write them up. But I did want to be extra cautious in circumstances where my impressions necessarily could not be checked immediately by listening again. And there are items of which one can't be quite as certain, such as close to exact level matching, trivial if one can make quick comparisons, near impossible to do exactly from day old memory. (I know I had the volume control set to the same detent and the sound wasn't grossly louder, but whether the fuse made a small difference to volume at that detent setting I can't be sure.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.