IGNORED

How are most people here listening to hirez files? With a server?

How are most people here listening to hi-res. files? With a server?

My iPod will not play anything past 24/48 (as you know) but I am wanting to listen to some hirez tracks without having to attached a computer to my DAC.

Is there no other device that can feed a DAC hi-res. FLAC files, for example, short of a full-blown computer/netbook?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

That's a pretty all encompassing word there. Are you thinking that it will include storage? Or be somewhere else than the room your hifi is in? Or do you mean an all in one something (like Olive) that will store and play back music as a server type?

How do you like to use your system and more importantly how do you WANT to end up using your system as far as interface, control?

David

I have a Windows 7 x64 server here at the house. It has 4TB of main storage, with about 1TB of that currently in 16/44 FLAC (-8) files.

But tonight, I saw this:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=604

I notice the NP30 purports to be able to use data files from a USB locally attached, via Ethernet/WiFi (N), or via a NAS. It looks like the unit tops out at 24/96, but I am not (greatly) bothered by that.

I am tired of attaching my iPod to my amp/speakers. It's burdensome and I want the ability to switch out a NAS at-will in my server room and see it in my bedroom. I have TBs full of old drives that I no longer use. Most are either 750GB or 1TB each. I must have six or eight of these. I want to put some of these in something like a Drobo and access from my bedroom via WiFi (N).

Including, but not limited to Cambridge NP30 or 751BD player, Oppo BDP 83, 93 or 95, Logitech Touch and probably others. I believe they all will connect to a streaming server or allow a USB device to be plugged in.

I have Cambridge 751BD and very much like it and think it is a quality unit. I also have several Touch's and while not quite as good sonic performance, it has a very nice user interface and is quite handy.

Note: output from the Touch, I would rate this as SP/DIF Coax, then Optical, then Analog. It's USB port will play files but sound is not as good as when playing streamed files and to stream to a Touch, you will need to run the Squeezebox server on a PC somewhere.

Also, the Cambridge NP30 will play up to 24/96 files, the 751BD plays up to 24/192 files, the Touch up to 24/96 files. If you are seeking quality playback, I prefer the 751BD however, the Touch is much less expensive so is arguably, the better deal.

The 751BD appears to me to be a BluRay player. How does this unit work as a streaming media device capable of playing a large variety of non-physical formats?

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/press_releases.php?PRID=44

One thing I need to clarify... I do not have a monitor on this set-up, so I cannot see menus to drive them from any unit... The streaming unit must have its own console.

There are lots of streamers (playback w/no HD or storage) on the market. Many video streamers for HT work well as audio streamers.

(See: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/netgear-digital-entertainer-elite/4505-6739_7-33483226.html). There are similar devices with and without HD's.

In addition, there are audiophile streamers like those from Linn or the new streamer from Salk Sound. Those are just 2 of many examples.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm not discounting them totally; but the problem with most HT (I assume you refer to Home Theatre) streamers is that they require a display.

If only the Oppo and Cambridge Audio bluray players could be UPnP renderers...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The Marantz line of Blue Ray players does just that, starting with the UD5005 @ $599. Unfortunately (depending on your use) it will only play MP3, WMA, AAC files in their respective resolutions so far. Still, a handy little streamer that will at least get someone started with no additional outlay if they already need a Blue Ray, SACD, CD player.

David

as well as, of course, playing a standard redBook audio CD.

In addition to connecting with either wireless or wired network services to a UPnP server. I use Twonky and/or Asset to serve files to the player, this is typical of all of these devices.

If you are not using a local display device then the 751BD will be awkward to control in which case the NP30 is preferable as it was designed to be controlled without a connected display.

Similarly, the Touch has a built in screen and so also does not need a display device.

The NP30 and the 751BD both have 2 USB ports, I suspect the OPPO devices are similar and although this is convenient and very functional, I have found the best sound comes when streaming is used. However, the differences are not large so both methods are quite good.

The Touch behaves a little differently in that when a USB device is plugged into it a local copy of the Squeeze server is run on the Touch and this becomes processor overhead which does seem to have an affect on the sound quality, but this is not a serious problem.

And the Touch is quite tweakable, if you are into that sort of thing and want to get in there and change how it does everything. Some claim significant sonic improvements when this is done.

And they do a very good job of it as well, I regularly stream 24/192 files to my 751BD using both Asset and Twonky.

Both servers work quite well however Twonky will run as a service which is an advantage but I think I like Asset slightly better.

Nothing really wrong with either though ...

The new OPPO's are also streaming capable, lots of details here:

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-93_UPnP/DLNA_Media_Streaming_FAQ