IGNORED

Laptop > Foobar2K > Nuforce uDAC2 & WASAPI

Jason36

I am currently using Foobar2K for my HiRes FLAC files via my Laptop......I have downloaded this and imported my music. I have then gone to the Foobar Components page and downloaded the WASAPI file, unzipped it and transferred it to the Components folder in Foobar2K.

I have then opened File > Preferences (checked the WASAPI DLL is there...it is) > Playback > Output (in my case WASAPI SPDIF Inteface (NuForce uDAC2) and then clicked on this and Applied. When I then try and play my FLAC files I get the following message:

"Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels"

The files I am using are a maximum of 96kHz / 24 bit FLAC files.

I have the PC sound output set at the standard 44.1kHz / 16bit - as WASAPI is supposed to bypass this anyway.

Under the Playback optons in Foobar (where you choose the WASAPI output) what are you supposed to set the Output Format as? (Leave it Blank??)

Anybody help with this......I have had to go back to the Windows 7 control for output.

I don't have the answer to fix your problem. I do see that 88.2 isn't listed as one of the sample rates on the product page for your DAC. Maybe it doesn't play 88.2.

I use an Audiophilleo 2. I set up foobar exactly as you describe and it works fine at 88.2 playing flac though they are 24 bit files. I am posting this from a linux machine and not close to my Windows machine. I forget if you also have to set the bit depth in foobar. Maybe that is it. It does seem to me when I set it up through WASAPI you also pick 8, 16, 24 or 32 bit output.

Just to test you also might try resampling to 96khz and see if that file plays. Your DAC lists that as one of its sample rates.

Finally, don't know if he has connection with these products, but I think Demian Martin is connected to nuforce in some manner. He frequently posts here. His moniker is either 1audio of Iaudio I believe.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Cheers guys,

Have double checked my settings and everything is in order. The problem is me not understanding the download rates.

I assumed that the NuForce DAC would work with any file type up to 96kHz....obviously this is not the case and the DAC will accept either 44.1kHz or 96kHz using WASAPI....Some of my files are obviously 24bit 88200 Hz and for these I need to reset Foobar2000 to play via DS:SPDIF Interface (NuForce uDAC2)

Thanks for the time guys

Hi Jason36,

Under PreferencesPlaybackDSP Manager there are re-samplers available that you could use to re-sample your 88.2 kHz files to 96 kHz. For example, "Resampler (sox) mod" will allow you to set a target rate (96 kHz) and then specify which rates not to re-sample (44.1).

Using a re-sampler would eliminate the need to change your output mode when ever you want to play a 88.2 kHz file.

Thanks for that mate.

Is the resampler you mentioned a DLL file? Do I just download this and add it into the components folder under Foobar?

I am using the standard one included in Foobar and it works for the file I need to resample, but there are no options to say what not to resample.

The re-samplers come bundled with the main fb2k program.

In the DSP Manager, move the re-sampler from the right hand column over to the left column under Active DSPs. Highlight the re-sampler under Active DSPs and then select "Configure Selected". I've attached a screen shot below.

Thanks for the link Darren....

However I can only find the basic SoX resampler...when I try and download the Mod one it doesnt show as a dll file.

I have managed to download the standard sox resampler, but this still wont allow me to set sample rates not to be resampled...no idea what I am doing wrong here :-(

If I could find the dll file on my computer I would send it to you but a search of my C drive returned no results. I'm pretty sure that it appeared when I installed a 1.0.x version of fb2k. They must have removed it from newer versions.

Anyway, I started using J River (JRMC) a few months ago and re-sampling with version 17 is very easy. I attached another screen shot below.

The guide I sent you previously will show you how to set up JRMC if you're interested in trying it.