IGNORED

Talking Heads, True Stories (HD tracks)

The author of that thread provided the following counter-example of the files he says he supplied to HDtracks:

Talking Heads..jpg

If you read through the thread, you will eventually see that it turns out the author is working with a different set of files than those HDtracks is selling as high resolution. I never managed to figure out how this transpired. HDtracks refused to answer all my inquiries, but eventually refunded me, without comment, for the purchase on my credit card statement the following month.

I would much rather have had them fix the problem, especially when their supplier is clearly in possession of the high-resolution versions of these files.

In a further development, Ted_B identified the files that HDtracks is selling as (up-sampled) ones that have been available on DVD-A. Why HDtracks would choose to use those files instead of the ones the author of the thread was analyzing is completely beyond my comprehension. Clearly there is a lot more going on with this stuff than I am aware (or care to find out).

Of course, if Audacity cost $1500, nobody would question it. I think the thread you point to really illustrates what is wrong with the Hi-res business. The people doing the transfers are themselves stating that they don't have time to do quality checking, while finding the time to try to prove the customers are wrong fro doubting the quality.

As I have pointed out elsewhere, I _think_ that Bruce has analyzed the 5.1 to 2.0 downmix instead of the (real) stereo "layer" of the DVD-Audio.

But I don't have the time at the moment - nor the required harddisc space .. due to the flooding rises prices problem ... - to dive into it again.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II