IGNORED

Hegel HD20 MacOs X setup

Hi,

When you setup an HD20 under MacOsX through USB, there are input and output tabs under Audio Midi Configuration section.

My question is simple, when I want to play 24/96 files, does I need to setup 24 bits in input tab or in output tab ?

If I set 24 bits on both tabs, there is no sound with 24/96 files.

Please let me in touch,

Apologies for my English : I’m not fluent, I'm French ;)

Fred (Toulouse, France)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Hegel HD2 that just recently stopped playing 24/92. It will play 16/92 or 24/48, but not 24/92. I'm sure this used to work under OS X Lion - I think something has changed recently with Core Audio (or USB drivers?) that specifically impacts the Hegel hardware / code.

Even swapped out hardware thinking it might be an issue with my unit, but the new unit displays the exact same symptoms :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

It may be worthwhile to contact Hegel on their website to alert them to this. A few months ago I asked them a simple question about the Hegel HD2 (Whether it downsampled 176/24 and 192/24 to 88 and 96 respectively), and they were quick to respond, that it did indeed that.

Best wishes,

Peter

Caps V3 music player.

Hi,

I think it is due to hd20 capabilities, when you connect it you can use it as an input unit or an output unit.

Go to midi audio config, select hd20, set 16 bits on input tab, set 24 bits on output and it Will work, but if you set 24 bits on both tabs, no sound when playing 24/96 files.

Regards,

Fred,

Fred (Toulouse, France)

That worked :) though on the HD2, there is no input capability except for USB, so it really shouldn't make any difference what you select on the input tab, I'd think :/

But happy it's working again!

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

You have the same input config than me,

My question was about these config tabs, does i need to set input or output at 24 bits ?

Naturally i was thinking first setting 24bits in output tab, but by making test on 24/96 songs, i heard a difference when switching from 16 to 24 on input tab, less difference when switching on output tab.

If someone is mastering hegel products and could tell me the good settings, i'll be really interested by his/her sience.

Regards,

Fred (Toulouse, France)

Dear fredg_31,

Speaking logically,

you should set input 24; and it should lock 16 or 24 bit depends on the file you're playing.

I wish output tab choices would be oversampling on or off;

so when it's off: it will play 16 or 24 automatically;

when it's on: it will oversample 16 bit to 24 and don't change the native 24 bit.

They say on their web page - http://www.hegel.com/hd20_qa.htm

If you can not find an answer to your question, please ask your Hegel dealer, your national distributor or send us an e-mail: [email protected]

Would you please send their reply here aswell, thanks...

Dear hamsi,

I'm not sure it is so simple, because if you set 24 bits on both tabs, DAC hang when playing 24/96 files.

I've just send a detailed email to Hegel with screen captures, If I get a response I will add it to this thread.

regards,

Fred (Toulouse, France)

I am also interacting with Hegel support re: this issue and sent them a link to this discussion, along with this one I found on the Apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3436360?start=0&tstart=0

Oddly enough, I can set "Input" to 24-bit and "Output" to 16-bit, which iTunes "likes" just fine; however, when I use BitPerfect, it seems to be perfectly happy outputting at 24-bit even with Input set to 24-bit. So it almost seems like this is a bug with the OS X Audio MIDI code somewhere *shrugs*.

Guess we'll see what comes out of it.

I am also interacting with Hegel support re: this issue and sent them a link to this discussion, along with this one I found on the Apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3436360?start=0&tstart=0

Oddly enough, I can set "Input" to 24-bit and "Output" to 16-bit, which iTunes "likes" just fine; however, when I use BitPerfect, it seems to be perfectly happy outputting at 24-bit even with Input set to 24-bit. So it almost seems like this is a bug with the OS X Audio MIDI code somewhere *shrugs*.

Guess we'll see what comes out of it.

Hegel posted some information on their website today as a response to our queries:

"What are the correct MIDI input/output settings in MAC OSx?

First a short explanation. The input-setting is a setting for USB-recorders such as a USB microphone.

The output-setting is a setting for USB-Audio DAC's, such as a Hegel HD2, HD11, HD20 or others.

For optimal sound, the output-setting should be set to 24/96.

The input-setting in not implemented in the USB-receiver in the Hegel DAC, and you will need to set it to a lower setting (16 bit).

Correct MIDI-settings are: input: 16 bit - Output: 24 bit."

Still seems odd that what you set on the Input tab (which should just be ignored, I'd think) has any influence on what works on the Output tab, but there you have it ;)

Setting it this way works, and that's what matters.