IGNORED

Tokyo High-end Audio Show 2011

Jay192

This was my first time to attend the show. I'll write more tomorrow (with a few pics), but for anyone here based in Tokyo who's not yet been its well worth it.

Most of the major players there along with good company representation.

... And it's free too!

TAD Audio

YG Acoustics

Fostex (speakers)

Magico

Focal

Also good representation from various companies too: Gilad Tiefenbrun of Linn, Andrew Jones of TAD, Yoav Geva (YG) was most interesting to listen to / talk to.

I found much more pleasant to attend than the HK Show earlier in the year; less crowded and a lot less crowd noise.

Here's a few pics (the battery ran out 1/4 of the way into the show) and the list of companies / products presenting at the show:

Just wanted to say "Thanks for sharing!" Jay. Cheers.

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

in a candy store.

One thing I am always amazed about (and I understand why it is necessary to allow more people to listen per unit time) is how widely spaced many speakers are at many of these shows. I owned an earlier pair of those Avalons and know that they can sound incredibly beautiful and 3-dimensional when properly toed in and the proper width and depth or can TOTALLY fall apart, if one departs significantly from their best room location.

Not that I am criticizing them or other manufacturers, just making a point of how difficult it is to really asses the features of a piece of equipment at a show.

Sometimes I think the audio shows are not about letting consumer (or buyers) evaluating product performance; rather it's the visual impact offered by the display and the (kirei desu ne) models.

Oppo UDP-205/Topping D90 MQA/eBay HDMI->I2S/Gallo Reference 3.5/Hsu Research VTF-3HO/APB Pro Rack House/LEA C352 amp/laser printer 14AWG power cords/good but cheap pro audio XLR cables.