IGNORED

Downloads, Internet, Apple - a performers view and the public's views

Mark's link refers to the Inaugural John Peel lecture given by Pete Townhend last night. This was broadcast on BBC Radio 6 Music last night and listenable to here -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/episode/b016k4d0 (at least for UK residents).

For another (written) view of his lecture the BBC have published their own report -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15528101

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ol' Pete does have some good points. However, nobody in the "traditional" record company world (including many artists) would take on the new digital media. It took an outsider (Apple) to come along a present a model that the general public would accept. Just like the current car industry, the record industry was stale (still is for that matter). The focus was placed on "Catching the pirates" rather than forwarding the industry. Now, artist actually do not need the big labels to distribute their music. Pete's argument about "nurturing new artists" has some valid points. However, it's a different world now. So much great music but so much garbage as well. And really, how much nurturing went on back in the day. If a band's first or second album did not sell, they were OUT!! We look back at all the classic bands we love and basically their first releases sold and made money (you don't have to be #1 to make money). Very few money losers made it too album #2. Besides, back in the day, all I heard was how the labels ripped off artist for royalties, etc. So basically, Pete is singing the same tune that has been sung for the last 50 years. Just a different target (Apple)