IGNORED

New here, help me design a computer rig...

Hey guys. I have decided to step away from expensive portable rigs and focus on one main rig using a macbook as a source. I'm not really interested in speakers at this stage so the rig will be primarily for high end headphones. I also want to be able to listen in a few different places around the house so I was thinking about setting it up with a logitech squeezebox touch or similar. So what else would you get as far as reference dac, headphone amp and cables go?

Reference DAC, 'phone amp, and yes, even cables all can get into the tens of thousands of US dollars easily. Give us a range for the DAC at least so we can get some idea.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

and look at the Grace Design M903. You get a much higher quality and better sounding device.

24/192 Asynch USB licensed from Gordon Rankin at Wavelength Audio chief among them.

It might even be cheaper than the Benchmark HDR

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/grace-design-m903.php

With a 3K budget, you would have money left over for a really nice pair of headphones. Which headphones are you using now?

No electron left behind.