IGNORED

Amarra and DAAP

I am looking for some advice about a new setup that I am experimenting with. I rip my CDs to FLAC files on a Vortexbox NAS. The Vortexbox has worked very well for me so far. I used to listen to my music using a Slimdevices Squeezebox with Slimserver running on the Vortexbox, then I moved to a Music Streamer II+ USB DAC connected to a Mac Book. I would like to use iTunes to organize my music collection: it's not ideal and it has problems, but I have not seen any better alternatives on the Mac (let me know if you know one...).

The Vortexbox can stream and re-encode FLAC files to WAV format on the fly, and I can play these on iTunes. Now my question is: is there any way I can take use iTunes in conjunction with one of these new high-resolution players like Amarra, Channel D, Audirvana, etc with this setup? I downloaded the evaluation version of Amarra MINI and I found that I can't import any DAAP album in MINI.

Maybe the only solution is to setup the music folder on the Vortexbox as an NFS share? I tried with the Samba share that is configured by default but I had problems importing loading it into iTunes and I have read on some boards that iTunes has problems with this configurations.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

-Arrigo

The best way to deal with this is to publish the music folder from your Vortexbox server, and use that as the media storage for your iTunes library.

Amarra, as well as iTunes and all the high quality players require access to what appears to them to be disk files. A NFS share is a good way to do that.

You will need to convert any FLAC files to an iTunes compatible format, ALAC or AIFF works best.

Yours,

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein