IGNORED

Neil Young's 'studio master crusade'

From a Linn blog:

"...Neil Young drives the Buick around California, he is meeting with other musicians, producers and executives, and inviting them to hear the [24/192] difference for themselves. From what I gather, he's been filming people and interviewing them before and after, in order to capture genuine, emotional reaction to hearing music at studio master quality for the first time."

Full blog here:

http://blogs.linn.co.uk/mt/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=11&tag=Harvest&limit=20

From acorns...

I suspect Neil Young uses his Pacific Microsonics Model Two (he has a few of these apparently) to produce these 24/192 'studio masters' from analog tapes. I bet they sound wonderful.

The man obviously has good ears... but I'm not so sure about his taste in cars ;-)

Mani

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what's meant here by studio masters and CD versions, but there's no way to shoehorn 24-bit files onto an iDevice.

Prior to iOS5 you put a 24-bit file on one and iTunes would convert it on the fly to 16/44. Doing so now results in an error. Maybe Neil thinks his iPad has 24-bit files on it, but it does not.

The way I read the article was that the iPad was simply the interface to the music system. I doubt he had a line out running from the front seat to the DAC in the back!

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

From the article:

"The Buick had a laptop in the trunk loaded with music, connected to an outboard 24-bit DAC, and an iPad in the front which allowed Neil Young to select easily between studio master, CD-quality and two variants of mp3..."

The music is produced by the laptop in the trunk, not by the iDevice.

Ross

EDIT: Dang -- Garf beat me to it :)

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

There was genuine sadness in his voice as he explained that Harvest Moon, his 1992 follow-up to the original, had been recorded at only 16-bit, the depth of emotion in the music lost forever during the process. (Sad really that the supposed breakthrough of the digital recording process has resulted in roughly fifteen years of recordings that can never be heard at anything better than CD quality.

He lives only a short bike ride from my house. Maybe I should invite myself over to listen to some Pearl Jam.

A plethora, as long as you are comfortable with DVD-A or DVD-V. Neil's catalogue has been extensively issued in high resolution, almost always transferred by John Nowland at Neil's own facility, Redwood Digital (also not far from your house).

Many are available in affordable CD + DVD editions.

Just some off the top of my head:

Harvest

Greatest Hits

Prairie Wind

On the Beach

Massey Hall

Fillmore East

PS: Interesting article here: http://www.uaudio.com/blog/john-nowland-ua-interview