IGNORED

DAC to go with Apple TV2

Hello Audiophiles,

This is my first post here and hope to get your kind perspective on a stereo setup that I want to create in my study room. Here are the data points which will decide the final setup -

1) I absolutely love listening to popular music. Unfortunately, popular music is not released in high resolution (SACD and DVD-Audio are all but dead). So practically I end up listening to 16/44.1 music only. Therefore, high rez is not important to me.

2) I believe streaming is the future and may already be the present. I only buy CDs to rip them in lossless format and then stream them. The convenience is unbeatable.

3) I don't want to use the computer for listening to music. I want something which can be ON 24x7 and doesn't emit heat and noise. USB serves as a better connection but it means tethering an expensive computer (fan-less, SSD, expensive power supply) to my stereo. Accessing the computer via RDC or an iPhone Remote app

will be the only solution.

4) I own an iPhone, an iPad and a macbook - so I am used to iTunes for management/playback of all my music.

5) I'd like to use my rig for movie playback as well (youtube, Netflix, blu-ray)

Here's what I already have.

1) Spendor Speakers

2) Naim Nait 5i Integrated Amp

3) Sony LCD

Here's what I have in mind -

1) Get an AppleTV2 or Squeezebox touch. Apple TV is a natural fit for the apple ecosystem I already have. It can also play Youtube and netflix. Via airplay, I can stream pandora, Spotify and the ilk from my iPhone which doubles as an excellent remote.

2) On the other hand, Squeezebox is better hardware wise - it has much lower jitter and better digital audio output. But it's operability is no where close to AppleTV. You have to play via a web browser or use an iPhone app which doesn't have a good built-in search.

2) Get a DAC with state-of-the-art jitter rejection design. This will help in offsetting AppleTV's jittery output. I have Benchmark DAC1 on mind.

3) DAC should ideally have two toslink and two coax inputs. Unfortunately, benchmark only has 1 toslink input.

4) Worldwide voltage support in the DAC is a nice to have a feature.

What do you guys think? Will ApleTV's convenience more than offsets the quality output of Squeezebox? If yes which DAC will be a good fit for AppleTV. My budget is 2000$. Is Wyred4Sound a good option with AppleTV?

Thanks in advance.

I am not a big fan of the new version of Apple TV for music use. Everything is converted to 48Khz and it doesn't support higher resolution. It has limited connection options. You mentioned you did not want to play your music via computer but the ATV requires streaming from the computer. I think an external DAC is essential in any digital based system.

My first go at computer audio started with the original ATV and it served me well but I think current limitations are too great and that it would be the decided weak link in your system which has a base of some very nice equipment.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I agree that the convenience of the Apple TV 2 is hard to resist, which is why I choose to use it along with my Musical Fidelity VDAC despite the limitations correctly described by mwheelerk. Fortunately, the fidelity is good enough for my ears.

However, an alternative solution is to purchase a Peachtree Audio iDac to pair with your Apple TV 2. Use the ATV2 for casual listening, and when you want the best possible fidelity, play music directly from your iPhone using the iDac's iPhone dock. As an iPhone uses a solid state drive, it's a fantastic player.

In addition, the iDac has two toslink inputs, which meets your requirements.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

It's probably more than your budget but have you considered the new Naim NS5XS?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I share the same frustration with Apple TV as you. It's convenience is unbeatable, but audio performance is typical consumer-grade.

I have decided to use my iPad's dock with (hopefully) Benchmark Dac1 Pre's USB input. SQ wise it may be the best transport at any price. And it can also stream 24/96 songs over wi-fi and bit-perfectly.

See http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2011/06/1/ipad-streams-high-resolution-audio-dac1

The only thing remaining is to be able to find a way to control music playback on the iPad from a distance.

Thanks,

Sumit

The ND5XS (sorry I said NS5XS) is a network streamer. You would use it instead of an Airport Express plus DAC. You control it using Naim's custom app on iPad or iPhone / iPod Touch. Naim have also inferred they are working on getting it working with AirPlay also. You can also use this to store music on a NAS (supporting UPnP) rather than having to have your computer on as you would with an ATV2 (something you suggested you didn't want).

it was just a suggestion as you already use Naim amplifier so it would fit well.

Eloise

PS. another DAC to look at would be Rega' DAC.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I am currently using a PS Audio Perfectwave Dac/Pre with an ATV2 and I have to say that it sounds way better than it has a right to given the comments that it is not bit perfect. Maybe the sample rate converter and filter options in the Perfectwave Dac have something to do with that. I don't know.

I am streaming wired ethernet from an iMac via iTunes and Airport extreme and use an iPad2 as the wireless controller. The Apple remote app is just a great user interface.

I tried the ATV2 as an interim solution because I wanted a user interface that just works. But I am pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds.

Cheers,

Al

All that you need (except for Netflix and Youtube) is available through the Squeezebox interface on either an iPhone or iPad (which is ideal).

This combo sounds fantastic, fits your budget and has the inputs you are looking for. It's a winner. Personally I'd get both and you are still only using 2 of the 4 inputs on the Rega. The Squeezebox is noticeably better sounding than Airplay into the Apple TV also.

There is a new review of streamers in I believe the latest HiFi Choice which puts the Squeezebox at the top of a number of streamers all of which cost more than it. It's the real deal.

1) Squeezebox Touch $300

2) Apple TV $100

3) Rega Dac $995

Total $1395

Extra

5) iPad (fantastic usability w/ both ATV and SBT) $495

Total $1890

David