IGNORED

REL T3 Sub -Deal Of The Century

Okay, so deal of the century is a little over the top but this is a pretty good deal all the same. Elsewhere in this part of the forum I posted about returning to using MMG speakers after a little more than a year living with more traditional speakers. I love the basic characteristic sound of Maggies but of course like most all things they are not perfect and don't have the most powerful of bottom ends.

I have used REL subs with several different speakers in the past including the MMG. For my money I think they offer the best integration into a two channel system for music. This weekend I decided to go to Magnolia Home Theater (Best Buy) who were the only place locally that I knew that carried REL. I also had $175 in award card money that I thought I could use toward the $599 purchase. Unfortunately when I got there I found out they no longer carried REL and had cleared them out. When the salesman tried to tell me about their other subs I explained why I liked and wanted REL. He said he understood as he owned Maggie SMGs and used an REL with them. He asked if I had a couple of minutes. He began to search through their system looking to see if any location had any left. He searched all over the place and came up with several 'out of the box' units and two 'in box' new, one cherry and the other black. I jumped on the black one. The price? $199! Of course with the $175 in award certificates I was now the proud owner of an REL T3 Sub for $24 plus tax.

There are still a few out there for $199 and it may take a cooperative clerk to find them but if you would like a great sub for music at a great price there you go.

I thought I did pretty good.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

The real answer is I was so excited to get that deal for a new REL T3 to mate with my MMG that I never even thought or considered it.

The other potential answers are that this guy searched some 30 or 35 regions and over 200 stores and found exactly one, new-in-a-box, REL T3 in black which is what I wanted. I think there were two new-in-a-box Cherry models and several out of box demos. That one was exactly what I wanted.

I had never considered a two sub arrangement and although I am familiar with the concept I think that my space is just too small to warrant a second sub so I am certain I will be reall happy with this REL T3. This will be the second REL T3 I have owned with MMGs and I have also owned another REL used with good quality, more traditional speakers like Focal and Monitor Audio.

You are right though, I probably should have jumped on one of the new Cherry units at that price.

Frank Zappa

"I've never seen a business so unwilling to tell you where you can buy their products.

I want to look at their new Class D amp subs, "Serie R"

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/idx_r.htm"

I think they became the distributors for Wadia and I have a friend I buy from who is a Wadia dealer who may no longer carry that product so he does not have to deal with them.

Frank Zappa

What is that old saying, " if the deal seems too good to be true...". Well maybe that is the case here and I am bummed out. The REL sub arrived at Best Buy today, sort of. I went to pick it up and the first thing I noticed was that it was not "new in the box". The box had obviously been opened. Even still I thought it was a good enough deal that I wanted it but I wanted to open and inspect it. I am glad I did. The sub was literally in pieces. This REL T3 Sub has two 'U' shaped support legs and both were broken in half. We didn't have to look any further at it.

They are trying to find me another one but my hopes are not high. This deal of the century apparently got flushed done the drain

Frank Zappa

I would pay full price for one but I prefer to buy from a local dealer and I don't think is is one any longer here. I don,t know if any other subs have that kind of Neutrik to amp speaker connection I want.

Frank Zappa

I think there is an issue, but you should ask someone better informed. I think also you can buy an expensive cable that deals with the issue, and that the newer (and more expensive) Serie R deals with the issue.

I've been reading up on various subs recently, but I don't own one and am not well-informed, but I think this is the case. Please double-check.

Here is what I read.