IGNORED

Comparisons between top level DAC's from Nagra, Weiss and MSB

I am planning on creating a digital system around a Mach2Music Mac mini with SSD storage.

I would like to pass through a high level DAC, ideally without passing through a pre-amp, directly into a power amplifier for my Quad 2905 speakers.

Has anybody compared the DAC's from:

- Weiss DAC 202 Firewire

- Nagra DAC

- MSB Platinum DAC + Power Base or other, even higher level, MSB systems?

Any comments on a valve-based power amplifier for this system?

You can see why I'm intending to be "poor but happy"!

At that level of system you really need to try them all out to see which one fits your musical taste. I wouldn't stop there with your list either but I would include Dacs from a number of other companies also. As far as tube based power amplifiers, there are a lot of them that work with those speakers and a Quad dealer is who I would contact about possible matches. I can not imagine anyone interested in the level of electronics

That you have listed that will not listen long and hard to all of the best that is available.

You need to hear these items for yourself to hear the subtle but significant differences between them.

David

It sounds like you are willing to step up for a really great DAC. At these kind of levels, the differences will be real between products, but they will likely mostly be differences of preference, rather than large differences in improvements in sound. Because these differences will mostly be of preference, you will need to hear the DACs you are interested in.

I would add the following for your consideration:

Aesthetix Pandora with the (analog) volume control option

Playback Designs MPD-3

Weiss Medea Plus (this is above the level of the DAC 202)

The new Meitner stuff (should see a review on this from Chris here fairly soon)

Have fun, and please let us know what you end up getting and why.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio