IGNORED

Advice requested on hi-fi system I plan to buy

stephane

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum as I've found computeraudiophile.com quite recently. It's a great site IMO.

I'm planning to buy a brand new hi-fi system but am hesitating over sopme options, so I'd like to get advices/guidance from anyone who would like to help me refine my choice. I'm not too technical but I understand most of the postings on this site; try to answer in a way that's not too technical.

First, here is a description of my need:

- type and quality: high-end 2.1 audio system including an integrated amplifier and capability to reproduce high quality digital music files through the audio system + average DVD player (the image quality just needs to be good, not great).

- design: the system needs to look nice to great and at least harmonized (i.e. devices of smilar colors and sizes), that's a very important factor to me. The less equipment, the better. I'm not ready to trade off a lot of quality for the design, but would accept some trade off. My goal is to find equipment that looks nice and is of high quality.

- budget: 10,000 to 15,000 USD range maximum (the lower, the best of course, but this would be my maximum total budget).

Here are the 3 options I'm considering, along with some questions.

Option 1

- Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo VI - www.audiophysic.de/tempo/index_e.html#Technical%20data

- Integrated music system (integrated amplifier 2 * 75 watts + CD Player + FM Tuner) : Arcam Solo Music - www.arcam.co.uk/newsolo/index.html

- Digital music server: iPod Classic + iPod docking station: Wadia 170 iTransport - www.wadia.com/products/products_main.htm

- DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic - www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320

- DVD player + access to Internet radios + access to web-based video streams: Mac Mini

- Remote control for Mac Mini: iPod Touch

Question 1: is the Mac Mini an acceptable DVD player ? I currently use an HDD DVD recorder Sony RDR-HX 650 and don't need anything better but I hope the Mac Mini would match the quality of my Sony.

Qustion 2: instead of using the iPod Classic with the Wadia docking station to play digital music files, could I use the Mac Mini and a DAC to connect it to the Arcam Solo Music ? What I want to be able to do is to play high quality music files through my audio system, to profit from the quality of the audio components like the amplifier and the speakers.

Question 3: is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic a good recommendation (it was recommended by the hi-fi retailer who demonstrated the system) or would a dvice like the Bryston BDA-1 External DAC make a big difference (even if a lot more expensive)?

What I like in that option is the price (it's the cheapest one), the Arcam Solo Music (performances, price, design) and the overall sound quality (I had a demo of that system with similar speakers as the Tempo and it met my needs).

What I dislike is the overall design: I've got 4 different devices from 4 different brands with 4 different designs. Also, I don't like the limitations brought by using an iPod (i.e. storage capacity).

Option 2

- Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo VI - www.audiophysic.de/tempo/index_e.html#Technical%20data

- Integrated amplifier: Linn Majik-I - www.linn.co.uk/majik-i

- Digital music server: Linn Majik DS - www.linn.co.uk/majik_ds

- NAS: Apple Time Capsule 500 Gb - www.apple.com/timecapsule/specs.html

- DVD player + access to Internet radios + access to web-based video streams + backup of NAS content: Mac Mini

- Remote control for Linn Majik DS and Mac Mini: iPod Touch

Question 1: Would anyone recommend using the Apple Time Capsule as the NAS in this system? I selected that device because of its capacity (sufficient for my needs) and design (identical to the design of the Mac Mini). But reading the CASH list on this site, I would think there are better NAS devices. Also, as the Linn Majik DS costs about 2,500 € (that is, about 3,250 USD), I won't trade off the quality for the design in this case (as I can even hide the NAS in a cupboard if needed).

Question 2: would anyone recommend using the new 13-inch MacBook instead of the Mac Mini, for instance because the image quality would be better for both viewing a DVD or a video stream from the Internet?

Question 3: the Linn Majik DS product data sheet states that it supports UPnP (Universal Plug & Play) for seamless integration with UPnP media servers and control devices. I assume it would hence be possible to use an iPod Touch as a control device. Can someone confirm?

What I like in that option is the overall quality and the ability to read the FLAC format (very positive reviews have been written on both the Linn Majik-I and Linn Makik DS devices: www.linn.co.uk/product_reviews/product_id/702 and www.linn.co.uk/product_reviews/product_id/759). I also like the design, as I've got 4 devices from 2 manufacturers with very nice and harmonized designs (at least the overall system looks nice to me ;-) ) and a nice remote control for both the Mac Mini and the Linn Majik DS (to be confirmed for that one). That system is 30% more expensive than the 1st one, but it's worth the difference IMO given the Linn brand quality and reputation, the future Linn software upgrades and the storage capacity.

Option 3

- Integrated amplifier: Linn Majik-I - www.linn.co.uk/majik-i

- Digital music player + access to Shoutcast Internet radios: Sooloos Source:One - www.sooloos.com/www/the-system.php

- NAS: Sooloos Twinstore + 2 Sooloos 1 Tb hard drives

- DVD player + access to non-Shoutcast Internet radios + access to web-based video streams: Mac Mini

- Remote control for Sooloos and Mac Mini: iPod Touch

Question: same question as in option 2: would anyone recommend using the new 13-inch MacBook instead of the Mac Mini, for instance because the image quality would be better for both viewing a DVD or a video stream from the Internet?

What I like in that option is the overall quality and the ability to read the FLAC format (a positive review has been written on the Sooloos system by Stereophile: www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/908sooloos/index.html). I also like the design, as I've got 2 Sooloos devices with the exact same great design, a nice Linn amplifier and a small and nice Mac Mini or MacBook. What I dislike is the price ;-) It's nearly twice as expensive as the 1st system and 40% more expensive than the second one.

At this stage, the option I consider most is option 2.

Thanks in advance to everyone for reading this post and giving me their advice!

Cheers,

Stephane

Mac mini (Mach2 Music SSD) with Amarra Symphony > Vitus Audio RD-100 > Vitus Audio RS-100 > Marten Django XL

Fono Acustica USB, XLR interconnect, speaker and power cables - Oyaide power distributor - Stillpoints footers

iPad with Splashtop & TouchPad remote

Hi there.

AVI HiFi probably make the perfect 2.1 solutions for you!

The AVI ADM9.1 is an active standmount speaker with integral DAC and optional subwoofer.

Alternatively they are releasing the cheaper Neutron 2.1 system, which is an active sub with a 4 input DAC and a spare two channel amp to drive their passive speakers.

The boss posts on here and you can read excellent reviews from other Computer Audiophile members, or on their website www.AVIHiFi.com

As for the other things you mention...

I have to sell Arcam Solos - they're not fantastic.

Wadia iPod Dock - I don't think this is good value; you can use the Mac Mini as your transport.

Mac Mini - not the best DVDP in the world, but a cheap and versatile unit. I love mine.

iTouch Remote - fantastic! I use it.

Cambridge Dac Magic - nice sound for the money but not as good as the DAC conversion of the AVI active speakers.

My system...

I just use a Mac Mini via optical into AVI ADM9.1, controlled by iTouch Remote. It's simple and sounds great.

The price is relatively cheap but the sound is so good it replaced HiFi separates of five times the price.

DSC_0359.jpg

Hi Stephane - Wow that's quite the detailed post! Thanks for all the detail, but I must say I'm a little overwhelmed. I am very happy to help you out but I get lost in all information. Can you start with a little info and a question or two and we'll go from there?

Thanks and welcome to Computer Audiophile!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Stephane:

Very detailed post; you have a substantial budget to set up a great system, and may even have some change left over. My advice: test as much gear as possible, at home where possible:

Speakers=

I think that the speakers, room placement, and room acoustics are the key success factors in a good sounding system. If possible, try out a bunch of speakers at a variety of stores; bring your own music so you can compare on an even playing field. I would try to demo several at home where possible; this option is where dealer really adds a lot of value and I think the premium is well invested.

Integrated amp=

I am looking at a lot of stuff now and think that there is some pretty good integrated gear available. You really need to try that at home if possible. My local dealer let me demo a used c.1998 Linn set up recently; it was a great setup but taking it home helped me decide to look at other equipment. At home I noticed a minor low frequency buzz and also noted that the volume step between 0 and 1 was way too large for my quiet evening listening. At home I was able to throw all kinds of music at the Linn and noted that it did not work well with my speakers/room/ears regarding male voices. While a great set up, it is not perfect for my system.

DAC or Digital Music Server=

That is tougher as there are so many combinations. Music servers are convenient and offer the possibility of excellent integration...at a price. I find that most shops do not stock DACs (eg you need to order the things without a test drive). Benchmark has a 30 day test offer but is it easy for you to compare it to other units during the test period?

Recently I heard the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC (including the Lynx Studio Technology AES16 card and a pretty simple windows computer system) that blew me away; the dealer said this combo was one of the rare paradigm shifts in high end audio and was, "Shockingly at the budget end of the market." Unfortunately $8k for a dedicated computer, card & DAC is not, however, budget for me. I will wait for Chris' highly anticipated new budget solution before committing to a platform.

I've been thinking about your interesting system component selection and questions for several hours.

I think what darrenwm was trying to suggest is start with your speaker selection first, which is very good advice. In lieu of overpriced, entry level, Linn products, perhaps a more logical choice would be to shift some of the component budget over to the speakers which will make a huge difference in the quality of sound. Personally, I am not a fan of Audio Physic speakers, I do not consider them in the realm of quality sounding speakers, and believe you can do so much better with your budget. The AVI speakers mentioned deliver far better sound. Take some time to listen to other speakers before rushing out to make a purchase.

I'm going to take a chance and make a few suggestions, hoping I will not be overly criticized for my choices. If you like the look of the floor standing Audio Physic cabinets you could consider the Dynaudio Contour S 3.4, or Legacy Classic HD (or even something larger like the Legacy Focus HD), and the Thiel CS2.4 or the new CS3.7 speakers. All cost between $4000 and $6000 US dollars, will deliver the most sound for the price, and will blow away anything Audio Physic makes. I have owned speakers from all three manufacturers and can say from experience any of the above will offer at least 6 to 8 years of great listening pleasure.

http://www.dynaudio.com/us/index.php

http://www.legacyaudio.com/

http://www.thielaudio.com/

I have nothing against the sound and quality of some self powered speakers. However you should know that they have lots of wires running across the floor. (And men love lots of exposed wires. It is just one element of male audiophilia.)

I'm confused about your choice of the Linn majik Digital Music Server. The component requires a computer to supply downloads, and you also need to purchase an external hard drive, and everyone is complaining about how poor the software is. I just fail to see why anyone would need with such a device. Even Linn claims their music servers are nothing more than a "hint" of what is possible in the future. Anyway, it is a lot of money for an item that will be totally useless in two years. In my low humble opinion, just purchase a Macbook Pro, or a Mac Pro, a hard drive like the Data Robotics - DROBO, and a DAC or Integrated Amplifier/DAC. The Apple iTunes software is far more elegant and user friendly than anything Linn has to offer.

The Linn Majik integrated amplifier lacks the features and sound quality found in the competition for the same price. Consider looking into the Naim Supernait integrated amp, or the Bel Canto (both have internal DACs). I have owned several classic integrated amps over the years, first the legendary sweet sounding McIntosh MA6800, then in 2000 I purchased the Mark Levinson No. 383 (now discontinued) for which I got six years of excellent service without a single problem. My daughter has the No. 383 now, still running as good as the day I brought it home and hopefully will continue until 2012 or beyond. My current integrated amp is the Bryston B100-DA which has a built in DAC. It is every bit as well made and impressive sounding as my previous units. All the Bel Canto units have very impressive high end performance for their cost, especially their e.One S300iu integrated amp/USB DAC.

http://www.naim-audio.com/index.htm

http://www.belcantodesign.com/

http://www.marklevinson.com/products/overview.asp?prod=no383

http://bryston.com/

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/bryston_b100sst.htm

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/407bryston/

What I have listed above is in the realm of High End sound for your budget. The components you are thinking of purchasing are at best Mid-Fi quality. If this quality level pleases you then consider checking out equal quality from Marantz or Denon for less cost. http://us.marantz.com/

I am not sure how you want to view DVDs, but I can tell you this, a Macbook or a Mac Mini is not a DVD player. In my opinion, keep the player you have or upgrade to an OPPO multi disc player (DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio). You cannot beat the price per performance of an OPPO player. http://www.oppodigital.com/

The Mac Mini requires the use of a Monitor. There is no doubt that an Apple monitor will deliver a far superior video image as compared to the 13" Macbook.

I have no experience with the Sooloos system and therefore cannot comment on the components. However, just think for a few moments. Computer technology changes and advances every few months, especially the music servers which seem to evolve into new forms each year, at outrageous prices. Don't jump out of your shoes too quickly. The positive review on the Sooloos system was done by a writer promoting the audio component industry, not the computer industry which he sees as an uninvited invasion on his precious turf. And that line about never being more involved with his music due to the GUI of the software! Please! Ten Thousand Dollars is just way too much to pay for Sooloos in my opinion. By the 2010 CES it will be completely outdated, or out of business. Best to stay with a computer and iTunes until someone develops an alternative usable system at a realistic price.

When it comes to storing digital files the audio industry has zero reliable experience. I just purchased a new Mac Pro and it is just delightful. I finally upgraded from my six year old Mac G4. And all the files I had like video clips of my children, family photos, music files, and thousands of documents collected over all those years was easily downloaded onto my new Mac pro. I seriously doubt that any of the music servers in use today will be able to make that claim six years from now. I cannot think of any audio company with the resources (well perhaps Sony), or depth of employee knowledge to develop sophisticated software. At best what we will see is a different GUI written over a known database program. A simple, economically feasible solution which audio companies can employ for profit.

What I'm attempting to illustrate is the cost comparison between music servers and computers. When music servers start costing the same as a really nice expensive file server, or three to five times that amount, I seriously start doubting their worth. Computers can perform hundreds of functions well, and they seem to hold their own with many music servers which are designed to perform few functions.

One more item: Quality sound produced from a computer starts with an excellent pair of speakers. Why download high resolution files for playback if your audio system cannot reproduce the details?

Also, high end audio does not necessarily mean high cost. Half the fun is seeking out just the right components. Take your time, listen carefully, ask questions, and listen to your short list again.

I hope some of my suggestions have been helpful.

Good luck with your endevours.

Daphne

I don't really have a lot to add, just a few observations:

1. Appearance. I totally understand why you want a matched set, but your choices are extremely limited, if not non-existent. For example, the NAD VISO TWO DVD/CD Receiver looks really nice:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/dvd-players/VISO-TWO-DVD/CD-Receiver

But it's not Blu-Ray, nor does it address your digital source needs. You could get NAD's Blu-Ray player and a NAD receiver to go along with it, but you'll be paying for 5 channels of amplification when you only need two, and you're still not assured they'll match. (different product lines/series, etc)

I think the Logitech Transporter has a very audiophile look, if you buy NAD stuff and want something to blend in (sort-of...):

http://www.slimdevices.com/welcome_tp.html

I think the Sonos could be a good digital starting point, but it doesn't blend in with anything:

http://www.sonos.com

It's remote doesn't require line-of-sight, so the player could be hidden in a cabinet.

An earlier poster recommended Bel Cantos stuff. I agree, and think it looks great, but you still have to get a DVD/Blu-Ray player and digital source from somewhere else, so it won't match, either.

Regardless, eventually you'll upgrade... something. And then it won't match anymore. It's just reality.

One option may be to purchase a cabinet that will allow you to keep almost everything hidden. If you purchase digital amps, you won't have to worry as much about heat because they run much cooler than normal amps.

You didn't talk about the room you'll be using, but you should consider it to be an extension of the speakers you plan on buying. If you siphon off 1-2K of your budget for room treatments, you'll be glad you did. There are several companies that make good acoustic panels, but right now I can only think of one:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/products.html

I've heard the difference that good room treatments can make, and it's amazing.

Everyone has their speaker recommendations, and I'm sure they're all good. Mine is this company:

http://av123.com

They are internet direct, but I've heard their speakers in other people's houses and, as a result, pre-ordered a pair of their high end line source speakers. Mine haven't come, yet, but I've read some amazing reviews. They also have some much smaller tower and bookshelf speakers that sound equally good for the money.

Well, okay... Maybe I had a lot to add. :-)

--darren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to thank all people who have taken time to read my very long post, think about it and answer it, I really appreciate. Here is a second lengthy post, sorry!

I read quite a lot over computer-based audiophile systems during the last 2 weeks - especially on this site - and it became clear to me that my needs would be best met via a computer-based solution rather than a traditional audio solution. This has been a great discovery for me as up to 2 weeks ago, I thought that a CD transport or a hard disk-based solution from an audio manufacturer like Linn would always provide a better audio output than a PC and I didn't know much about DACs and their influence on the audio quality; now, without being an expert, I can clearly make an architectural decision thanks to this great site! The downside is that I have to increase my planned budget, but ok I've just turned 40 and want to make a nice present to myself ;-)

I still have a few questions and would like to get people's advice. Something that might be worth mentioning is the style of music I'm listening to: mainly atmospheric, progressive and alternative rock (The Mission UK, Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Paradise Lost, Placebo, Pearl Jam...) and some cooler stuff (Fiona Apple, Sade, Massive Attack, Radiohead...). Also, the design is critical to me: the whole system needs to look good to my eyes, so I've chosen devices from different brands that are of high quality and look good when put together; they might not all provide the best value for money, but it's ok as I'm willing to pay some extra dollars for a nice design.

I've made up my mind for 50% of my system. It will include the following:

- music source: Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro

- access to Internet radios: Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro - access to Internet radios is a key feature for me but I don't want to add an additional dedicated device like the Tivoli Audio Networks, so the MacBook Pro is a good option to meet that need IMO

- audio playback software: Apple iTunes or Sonic Studio Amarra if that software is ever sold separately from the hardware

- MacBook Pro remote control: iPod touch with Apple Remote or Remote Buddy application software

- speakers: Audio Physic Tempo VI - Daphne: thanks a lot for your very detailed answer, it's been very helpful to me and has really open my eyes. I have though to disagree with your opinion on the Audio Physic Tempo VI speakers; I've listened to them with NAIM devices and they sounded just great to my ears; the reviews I found on them are also all very positive and I love their design, so I've decided to stick with those. I will still get a demo set up wit the Dynaudio you recommended as the dealer I will be buying from sells both brands, but the Dynaudio are 40% more expensive so I doubt I would choose them except if I clearly hear a superior sonic quality.

- TV and MacBook Pro monitor: Loewe Individual 40 Compose (I will also use my television to watch TV programs only accessible from the Internet and streamed from the MacBook Pro)

- DVD player: Loewe Viewvision

What is left to be chosen in my system are the external sound card, the DAC and the integrated amplifier (I also still need to choose good cables, but that will be for later). Here are the options:

1. Apogee Ensemble firewire audio interface + Accustic Arts DAC I - MK4 + Accustic Arts Power I - MK2 amp

2. Apogee Ensemble firewire audio interface + Weiss Minerva firewire DAC + Accustic Arts Power I - MK2 amp

3. Apogee Ensemble firewire audio interface + Weiss Minerva firewire DAC + Primare i30 amp

4. Apogee Ensemble firewire audio interface + Naim Supernait amp with internal DAC

My main question is: out of those 4 options, which one would you pick knowing that the price difference is not my main driver (the most expensive system is option 1, and the cheapest is option 4, which is 50% less expensive than option 1).

If Daniel Weiss reads that post, I'd be interested in getting his standpoint on which amp he would chose to get connected to the Minerva and how the Accustic Arts DAC I - MK4 compares to the Minerva (one advantage of the Minerva is that it has a firewire connector, which seems the preferred connector for Daniel Weiss if I've understood the Minerva user manual correctly).

My second question is: in this set up, I've included the Apogee Ensemble external sound card between the MacBook Pro and the DAC assuming the audio stream sent from the computer to the DAC would be better. But as the Weiss, Accustic Arts and Naim DACs seem to be so good, will that really make a difference or will it be overkill? Also, I chose this audio interface because it's been specifically designed to work with Apple computers (and its design is nice), but I would be happy to get expert advice on it and potential other recommendations.

This site and its community is really of great interest and help and very friendly. Thank you all and happy birthday to CA!

TIA for your answers,

Stephane

Mac mini (Mach2 Music SSD) with Amarra Symphony > Vitus Audio RD-100 > Vitus Audio RS-100 > Marten Django XL

Fono Acustica USB, XLR interconnect, speaker and power cables - Oyaide power distributor - Stillpoints footers

Hi Stephane - You sure are a very thorough person! It's always nice when people to their homework prior to asking questions like yours. Thanks!

A few things to keep in mind.

1. New MacBook Pros have no FireWire 400 port. This can be worked around, but you should be aware of this.

2. It appears the Accustic Arts DAC I - MK4 does not have an optical TosLink input. You would need a converter type device to go from the MacBook Pro to this DAC.

3. I really don't think the Apogee Ensemble firewire audio interface is appropriate for your situation. You would have to connect via optical at a max of 24/96. Sure the word clock may improve things, but I wouldn't use this device in this situation.

In my opinion you have one choice that will work great. The third option you suggested is by far the best. The Minerva allows full 24/192 compatibility and the Primare is your amp & volume control. Pick up a FireWire ExpressCard and you're good to go. The first one I don't think will work because there is no optical input. The second option leaves you without a volume control. The fourth option doesn't include a top of the line DAC and limits you to 24/96.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Stephane

I second the comments given by Chris. The 3rd option seems to be the most sensible. As for the FireWire 400 port, the new MacBook Pros have FireWire 800, but it is a so called bilingual variant meaning that with the appropriate cable you can connect FireWire 400 devices. I.e. the cable has to have a 9 pin FW800 connector on one side an a 6 pin FW400 connector on the other. You can get such a cable in stores.

Yes, I prefer the FireWire over other interfaces like USB or Ethernet. AES/EBU or S/PDIF are fine as well.

I frankly don't know how the Minerva compares to other DACs, as I don't do comparisons.

Daniel Weiss

www.weiss.ch

Stephane, I have an older MacBook Pro that has the built-in Firewire 400 port and I also have a Nitro Firewire 800 card that supports 400 and 800 devices. I have only bought two firewire capable DACs, the TC Electronics Konnekt 8 and the Apogee Mini DAC, since the Mac OS does not support 24/192 capability through toslink, but does through the firewire (Chris – thanks for confirming that the Mac computer toslink is 24/192 capable if using Windows XP).

If I had to do it all over again, for firewire connectivity, I probably would have bought the Apogee Duet for $500 if my budget were limited and if I did not mind being limited to 24/96 record/playback or the Weiss Minerva if I had the budget, wanted 24/192 playback and needed no recording capability.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the Plinius suggestion. I had not considered that brand as I used to dislike the design of their devices, but having looked at the 9100 and 9200, I completely changed my mind. I read great reviews and my dealer has both in demo and spoke very highly of those amps, so I've booked a demo on Thursday for the Plinius amps and the Weiss Medea DAC (they don't have the Minerva in demo).

If I like the sound produced by that system, I'll go for it.

Thanks again,

Stephane

Thanks for your reply and recommendation, Chris. In the meantime, Christopher85 suggested the Plinius 9100 and 9200 integrated amps, which I will listened to on Thursday at my high-end audio store together with the Weiss Medea DAC. The dealer sells Primare as well, so I would be able to compare if needed.

I was indeed aware of the new MacBook Pro firewire 800 only port issue, and the workaround suggested by Daniel Weiss to use a 800 to 400 convector cable. Audiozorro also suggested to install a Nitro Firewire 800 card that supports 400 and 800 devices. Is one workaround better than the other?

I've got a last question: in one of your systems, you're using a Mac Pro with the Lynx card, so I assume the sound card is a valuable component in that system. I wanted to replicate such a system using a MacBook Pro instead of a Mac Pro, hence the reason for the Apogee external card that I had selected. It seems I have not understood the purpose of the Lynx card in your system, since you're suggesting to me to not add any external sound card to my MacBook Pro. So, what does the Lynx card do and why is it so important in your system? Also, using a laptop like the MacBook Pro with a DAC like the Weiss Minerva, is it valuable to add an external sound card or not?

I'm closer and closer to get all my system componants selected, that gives a great feeling! Thanks everyone for having helped me, your comments have been invaluable to me!

Thanks,

Stephane

I own/owned some Plinius, and I sell Primare.

I generally would say that the latter is mostly flash casework, large margin, and a slightly too safe sound.

The same could possibly be said about Plinius' casework but I don't know their margins, and I think it sounds more exciting, which is why I bought some for myself.

I sold on my Plinius pre/power to buy AVI, but still have my 8100 integrated here. It's not well-known in the UK so doesn't shift on eBay easily.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know how you get along with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher85 & Darren,

I had a demo with the Plinius 9200, the Weiss Medea DAC and the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player and I was amazed. It sounded so great. I didn't even needed to try the Primare, as the both of you and the dealer (who also sells Primare) believe it's competing in a different category. I was so impressed with the Plinius/Medea combo that I had enough and enjoyed listening to my favorite tracks for 2 hours. I decided to go directlky with the 9200 and skipp the 9100 after a discussion with the dealer who explained that the power is important to avoid losing details at low volume levels, which is important to me.

On top of that, the Plinius 9200 is actually a separate pre-amp and a separate power amp put in the same case, which is a nice idea.

I have to say that the Medea added quite a lot to the overall quality, as I've listened to the same tracks with and without the DAC, and the sonic difference was quite big.

I want to thank you again for having recommended the Plinius products to me.

Stephane

So, after having read a lot on the Internet and specifically on CA, received very good recommendations from members of this site, discussed with several dealers and listened to different systems, I'm all set now and here is the system I'm going to buy:

- speakers: Audio Physic Tempo VI in Ebony veneer (www.audiophysic.de/tempo/index_e.html#Technical%20data)

- amplifier: Plinius 9200 (www.pliniusaudio.com/products/9200.asp)

- DAC: Weiss Minerva (www.weiss-highend.ch/minerva/index.html)

- music source: Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro (www.apple.com/befr/macbookpro)

- digitized music storage: Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 1Tb (www.wdc.com/fr/products/Products.asp?DriveID=374)

- digitized music backup: Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 1Tb (www.wdc.com/fr/products/Products.asp?DriveID=374)

- audio playback software: Apple iTunes

- music source remote control: Apple iPod touch (www.apple.com/befr/ipodtouch)

- headphones: Grado SR 325i (www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm)

- Internet radio: Argon iNet 1 (www.argonaudio.com/sound/i-net/argon_inet_1.htm)

- TV: Pioneer Kuro KRL 37 V (www.pioneer.be/be/products/62/63/413/KRL-37V/specs.html)

- DVD player: Pioneer DVR-LX61 (www.pioneer.be/be/products/42/125/501/DVR-LX61/index.html)

- wireless TV headphones: Beyerdynamic RSX 700 (www.beyerdynamic.de/en/consumer-products/products/trendline/wireless-headphone-systems.html)

- furniture: Finite Elemente serie Modul (www.modulmodul.com)

Thanks everyone for having helped me make my choice!

Cheers,

Stephane

• 1 month later...

Hi there Stephane - that's a great looking final list! Don't forget to let us know how it all sounds and works when you are up and running :-)

Just looking at the long list you started off contemplating though reminds me how far I have come to the 'simplified' system that now sits in my living room! I can either listen to my SqueezeBox plugged straight into the AVI ADM9.1's controlled by iTouch via iPeng OR my MacBook via Airport Express to ADM's OR my MacBook straight in to the ADM's - so I am often down to just two components!! "Less is more" as the man says :-)

PS. At the last dedicated listening afternoon neither I nor my friend could tell the difference between sources - I think the DAC's in the ADM's level the playing field. I was considering retiring the SqueezeBox but now iPeng for the iTouch has arrived it is far more fun to use. Was thinking of putting it on one of those Roman pillar type vase stands between the speakers - how minimalist would that look :-)

Tim.

Tim.

Qobuz -> Auralic Aries Mini -> Chord Mojo DAC -> Heed Obelisk SI -> Mark Audio Pluvia 11 Custom Built  Mass Loaded Transmission Line Speakers

Stephane,

Not to beat a dead horse but I am also going to recommend the AVI ADM9.1s. I started with a mid level Linn system six years ago then I went with an AVI pre and ATC Active 20s and the ADM9.1s are the best system is the best thing I have ever owned. Add the matching sub and you have a great three way system. I highly recommend the Mac Mini as a source. I think I am going to back to one. It was a great DVD player going into my Epson projector.

ADM9.1s ,2.0 Ghz Mac Mini, Panasonic BD-35 blu-ray player.