• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Percussionists from the band Snarky Puppy getting after it on their debut solo album. Lots of cool stuff going on here if you are into percussion. A fair warning to those phobic to compression as a non starter - my opinion but the mastering is all over the place here. While it does take away from that part of the experience, it's top rate drummers creating organically. Worth a spin if you like drumming and rhythmic exploration. Go see these guys or Snarky live, they do not disappoint.

a0165846696_16.jpg

Went to a great concert this week and wanted to share the artist and a cover song. Radiohead fans will appreciate this.

David Ryan Harris played locally near Houston this week. I have followed his career going back to the early 90's and his rock band Follow for Now. He is more in the singer/songwriter genre now. I had no idea that he was doing this song as this is the first time I have seen him live in many years. All of the layers you hear are played and sequenced by him live. Blew my mind when I recognized the lyrics and song.

Below is an older video of his cover or Radiohead's Subterranean Homesick Alien - there are no words for how good this is. I dare say his interpretation is better than the original. He simply owns it. I hope sharing this brings somebody as much joy as it did to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, so this one is under the radar but worth checking out.

If you dig Gretchen Parlato, I think you will enjoy Camila Meza and her new album that came out this week. I made the purchase blind based upon the fact that she has Shai Maestro/Kendrick Scott/Sachel Vasandani in the band supporting her. Pretty good SQ here as well.

a3130641345_16.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend the new Sarah Jarosz album, Undercurrent. This one is every bit as good as her previous work, but this time around it feels like she is doing less with more if that makes sense. Gary Paczosa behind the boards so the sound quality is extremely high. On sale this weekend at HDT.

• 2 weeks later...
Brahms: Cello Sonatas - Marie-Elisabeth Hecker - Martin Helmchen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27389[/ATTACH]

Outstanding. See my review here: https://musicophilesblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/02/recommended-brahms-cello-sonatas-by-marie-elisabeth-hecker/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

Oh my! Wonderful. I just can't keep up with your recommendations. Please, please, enough with the great music already!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33162[/ATTACH]

This one's good too! How did I miss these guys? Tidal (find these 2 albums under Joshua Redman).

I am a fan, these guys are all very talented in their own right. This release I have not checked out yet but I will.

If you dig them Melvin, check out Ben Wendel and his most recent album. Our tastes tend to run fairly parallel so I think you will enjoy it.

For me tonight:

chris-thile-brad-mehldau-508453.1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jhwalker said:

The new "Bach Trios" featuring Chris Thile, Yo Yo Ma, and Edgar Meyer, is wonderful!

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/bach-trios-yo-yo-ma-chris-thile-edgar-meyer/0075597939187

I expected it to be a gimmick (hear Chris Thile play Bach on a mandolin!), but am thoroughly enjoying it - have listened to it three times since Friday. 

IMG_0373.JPG

Thanks so much for the reviews.  I have it in the Spotify queue to review but have not gotten around to it yet.  Will make this a priority.

(Nonesuch are on a roll w/ the small ensembles - Mehldau&Redman / Mehldau&Thile / and now Ma Thile Meyer)