Album: True Colors

Artist: Cyndi Lauper

Still a very original, if dated album. And some of the songs are pretty much guaranteed to make you laugh out loud. Even when PeeWee intrudes to let you know the 911 system is not available in that area... :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 1 month later...

Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More

Barenaked Ladies - Stunt

Gordon Lightfoot - A Painter Passing Through

Cyndi Lauper - Bring Ya To The Brink

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons

Yo Yo Ma - Soul of the Tango

B52's - Cosmic Thing

Bread - Guitar Man

Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

Supertramp - Breakfast in America

Neil Young - Harvest Moon

The Muppets - Disney's The Muppets (Am I A Man, or Am I A Muppet?)

Camel - Breathless

(grin) A bunch of friends dropped in for the weekend, so this was not hyper intense listening per se, but it was good anyway. We did listen to a couple hundred other tracks, but they were not albums. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great Heavens - this is the BEST version of this I have ever heard! The 3rd movement (Allegro molt vivace) is unbelievable. Words fail me...

I've included links below if anyone else wants to check this out.

Title: Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique"

Artist(s): Otto Klemperer / Philharmonia Orchestra

Recording Info: Transfered from a Angel 4-track tape

Recorded 1961

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/category/302/

Robert A. Heinlein

• 4 weeks later...

Ms. Betty Carter - Look What I Got

Mr. Justin Hayward and Mr. John Lodge - Blue Jays

Ms. Doris Day - Golden Girl - The Columbia Recordings (1944-1966)

Mr. Gavin Bryers - The Sinking of the Titanic (Which is beautiful, but such a downer we needed something happy again)

The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance

Robert A. Heinlein

• 1 month later...

What a great album! Sad, poignant, and uplifting all at once!

1. Tom Bigbee Waltz by Jay Ungar, Molly Mason, John Sebastian

2. The Water is Wide by John Doan, Brian Keane

3. Midnight on the Water by Jay Ungar, Molly Mason

4. Seneca Square Dance by Jay Ungar, Molly Mason

5. Footprints in the Snow by Beith Keith

6. Sweet Sunny South by Stacy Phillips, John Sholie

7. Shenandoah by Bill Keane

8. The Greenwood Tree by Norman Blake

9. Shady Grove by Alan Feldman, Ken Kosek, Lorraine Lee, Dan Barrett

10. Charles Giteaux by Norman Blake, Nancy Blake

11. Man of Constant Sorrow by Eric Weissberg, Brian Keane

12. Darling Cora by Eric Weissberg

13. When First Unto This Country by John Sebastian, Jay Ungar, Molly Mason

14. Wagoner's Lad by John Sebastian, Brian Keane

Robert A. Heinlein

• 3 weeks later...

Tony Bennett's _Duets II_.

Just heard a couple tracks from it, and the one that left my jaw on the ground is the one I would least have expected to do so.

The Lady Is a Tramp - Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga?

I have, until this point, rather totally ignored Lady Gaga, but if that is really her singing on this album, she can really sing - I mean really sing.

She sounded to me like a young Rosemary Clooney, but with less fine control of her voice, and with no demonstration of being able to sound sweet. But good... have to buy the album. It will get here on Friday for a nice weekend treat. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Don't sweat it- at least I bought a couple new albums today, and for some reason, I had totally missed that Chuck Mangione album. It will also be a treat this weekend.

I think these with go great with that 8-cylinder symphony Brian is talking about. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

• 3 weeks later...

Who boy... try this one out. It introduces a distinct country twang to each of these well known Ritchie songs - each song features a country or country crossover artist.

I am undecided about the recording quality (I listened to it at work with headphones. :)

Fun ride though not at all what I expected when I ordered the album. I like Ritchie and didn't read the description before ordering! :)

-Paul

1. You Are (Feat. Blake Shelton)

2. Say You, Say Me (Feat. Jason Aldean)

3. Stuck On You (Feat. Darius Rucker)

4. Deep River Woman (Feat. Little Big Town)

5. My Love (Feat. Kenny Chesney)

6. Dancing On The Ceiling (Feat. Rascal Flatts)

7. Hello (Feat. Jennifer Nettles)

8. Sail On (Feat. Tim McGraw)

9. Endless Love (Feat. Shania Twain)

10. Just For You (Feat. Billy Currington)

11. Lady (Feat. Kenny Rogers)

12. Easy (Feat. Willie Nelson)

13. All Night Long (Feat. Jimmy Buffett)

Robert A. Heinlein

• 3 weeks later...

A "lost" recording of Louis Armstrong playing at the National Press Club about five months before he died in 1971 has just been released. See This Link to the Smithsonian Folkways to listen and purchase the CD or download the album.

I've included the liner notes here for your enjoyment. I am downloading this as soon as I get home today. :)

-Paul

Edit: I cannot attach the PDF liner notes since they are 3.8mb and the forum limit is 2.0mb. Here is the direct link to them though. -PR

Robert A. Heinlein

We have definitely been into our back catalog over the past few weeks. I thought it might be fun to just post some the covers of the ones we have listened through entire albums from. Interestingly enough, it seems we listen to far more music than we watch television. :)

The system only lets you attach 25 images per post, so here are twenty five of what we have been listening to. I was hoping there was some way to put these in a cove flow like display, but could not figure that one out. :)

-Paul

[TABLE][TR][TD]cover-2.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-5.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-8.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-11.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-14.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-16.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-19.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-22.jpeg[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]cover-23.jpeg[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

cover.jpeg

cover-1.jpeg

cover-3.jpeg

cover-4.jpeg

cover-6.jpeg

cover-7.jpeg

cover-9.jpeg

cover-10.jpeg

cover-12.jpeg

cover-13.jpeg

cover.png

cover-15.jpeg

cover-17.jpeg

cover-18.jpeg

cover-20.jpeg

cover-21.jpeg

Robert A. Heinlein

... Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I never heard of "Let It Be ... Naked". Will investigate. Just got "Past Masters" and was surprised to learn the version of the song "Let It Be" was different from the album version.

Hi Brian -

I think that Let It Be - Naked is probably at the top of my favorites list. Very very different from the album, and despite four decades or more of listening to the original version, I do like this one better. It's from the original tapes.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

• 4 weeks later...

Beyond the Missouri Sky - Path Metheny & Charlie Hayden

This is one of my absolute favorite albums. Favorite track?
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
of course. RAH would have loved it.

The Singles 1969-1973 - The Carpenters

Another "desert island favorite for me.

I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got - Sinead O'Connor

Polictics aside, this lady can sing with expression and emotion that puts the auto tuned nonsense we are offered today in proper perspective.
Nothing Compares 2 U
is a head trip to listen to...

Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Yup about Missouri. WTF is RAH? Damn your AKROWNIMWITS.[/Quote]

Ack! We have sadly neglected your edukayshun! RAH= Robert Anson Heinlein - just click on the link for a lot of information.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is perhaps one of the seminal Heinlein stories. Not terribly original perhaps, but better done than I have ever seen elsewhere. And a keystone element in his "Future History."

And yes about Sinead too, her voice anyway. I always wished there was more of her music I liked. What would you consider her best tracks besides "Nothing compares...?"

-Chris

I like the title track (the last track) and The Emperor's New Clothes, but not everyone "gets" this album or likes it very much.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got - Sinead O'Connor

Polictics aside, this lady can sing with expression and emotion that puts the auto tuned nonsense we are offered today in proper perspective.
Nothing Compares 2 U
is a head trip to listen to...

Especially when you realize Prince wrote that song! She's done a couple of songs with Conjure One more recently.

I never knew that. Prince did some good stuff, but was too over the top for me in some cases. I admit, I like his The Song of the Heart from Happy Feet though. Kids stuff maybe, but it is a put-a-happy-smile-on-your-face-song. No comment on the recording quality. :)

RAH? As in the god?!?
Eh - some people think so. ;)RAH

Robert A. Heinlein

The Planets - Gustav Holst (Mark Elder leading the Hallé Orchestra, Colin Mathews (Pluto))

51bh1eMTjUL._SS400_.jpg

The gorgeous soundstage that Hyperion is famous for is present here in all it's glory, perfectly showcasing the jewel like music.

Jupiter
is my favorite movement in this work. Listening to it, there is no need for a great intuitive leap to recognize the music as the inspiration for much
Star Trek
music. The horns do tell!

The additional composition of
Pluto
by Colin Mathews is very good, but for me, it somehow just doesn't fit right. Holst wrote this music based not upon the astronomical planets, but rather on the
astrological
meanings, and
Pluto
just doesn't seem to fit into that mold. Of course, it may be that I am just not well versed in astrology.

It is a very well done recording and an even better performance.

-Paul

51sISkHfwtL._SS400_.jpg

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, it has been a really rough week, and my body has done nothing but fuss and feud with me all week. So, I wanted to listen to something different today, and since nothing I have in the library exactly matched what I wanted to hear, I kind of built my own album tonight. (With a bit of assistance from iTunes Genius... :) )

It was great fun and a great way to be reminded of some great albums I have that I have not listened to in a while too. Here's the list for your pleasure -

-Paul

Playlist-20120603.jpg

Robert A. Heinlein

I will have to look for that one - I have the two of them singing Baby, It's Cold Outside on Ray Charles The Spirit of Christmas album, but not the version(s) you referenced.

My favorite is the Louis Armstrong / Velma Middleton rendition (on this playlist). If anyone can keep a straight face during that, well, then, they just do not have a sense of humor at all.

When Velma Middleton complains in a perfectly girlish voice - "I didn't tell anyone where I was coming. Not even my Momma and Poppa!" , Louis replies in a dead serious voice -

"You should never do that to your Momma and Poppa!" then pauses for a second, long enough for you to think he is dead serious. Then he adds the zinger...

"Stay here three or four days. Then go on back to your people... " :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance

Novella

What a great album - I just listened to it again for the first time in a while, and it is truely a gem from it's time.

I also just listened to this one, which is an all time favorite for me... :)

51Unmuzbk-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Track#4 (Down on the Farm) is especially fun for me. Have to listen closely though!

Robert A. Heinlein

Dowdy Ferry Road - England Dan & John Ford Coley

The 70s again. This was pop music yes, but good pop music. I listened to this album a lot. Even performed a few songs from this, mostly Soldier In The Rain and Falling Stars. The last track is a really big surprise and will please a lot of classical music lovers, as well as those of us who grew up with an eye to end war, live in peace, and save the planet. In other words, the 1960 and 1970s.

Don't miss Holocaust, whatever else you do. These boys were really good musicians.

Playlist-20120605.png

Also, ignore the play counts. If digital files did degrade, these would be worn completely out!

Robert A. Heinlein