52 minutes ago, rando said:

Need to offer a correction here.  Download location erroneously listed this as LNOE 45 when it was in fact LNOE 44.  The earlier release has nearly double the DR and much more enjoyable material.  

Is this a Soundcloud only Sasha release, or do you know?  It does not appear to be on Tidal/Qobuz...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, Russell_L said:

Album of the Last Several Evenings, to be more precise.  I have to admit that Beethoven’s quartets, especially the late ones, have been a tough nut for me to crack, and I’ve never been able to really get “into” them, despite my love for most of Beethoven’s other work.  Nevertheless, I decided to sit down and really LISTEN to them, in succession.  The Blu-ray Audio disc of this release made this task easy—all 16 quartets are on a single BDA—and all I can say is that it was a revelation, both in terms of the music itself (what a genius Beethoven was!) and the extremely high level of committed playing on the part of the Takacs.  Fabulous!

Beethoven_ String Qts 1-16.jpg

hum...8 hours 32 mins on Qobuz...sounds like a challenge!  

• 1 month later...

Colin Stetson, SORROW - a reimagining of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony

I admit I was using this music to listen to my equipment - it's dense and I was listening for instrument separation, detail, etc.  Then I realized how much I liked it.  That said, if your listening to it through a system that is not resolving enough, it is all a bit "congested"...

a1443587754_16.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HIFI said:

Audiodoctor suggested this earlier in this thread.

I must say this is super interesting.  Really dynamic recording and I love the talent and the mix they put together.  Very resolving recording.  Super fun high volume listening session today.  Available on vinyl too....yea.

0B97C57C-019E-4127-9997-1AE83E83BFDE.png

One of the things I like about this album (in addition to the recording/mixing quality, playing, Charles LLoyd, etc.) is that I am liking Lucinda Williams on it, and I have for a number of years now been (looking for right word) "uninterested" in her the narrow range/style of her singing...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I got this album after checking only her Stravinsky piano transcriptions. Considering the fact that she's only 26 the performances are 'jaw dropping' indeed. I've also checked her Goldberg Variations and they are also good. IMO it's quite possible that we witness the birth of a major pianist talent. 24-96

71ULv8lhT4L._SL1425_.jpg

I  like how the piano was recorded - not forward or "bright" yet very present, clear, and a good (but not too much) hall sound/reverb (let's be honest) added.  Her style is drawing me in as well...I will no doubt purchase this.