• 2 weeks later...
No Doubt, Tragic Kingdom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13426[/ATTACH]

I don't listen to much music recorded after the 1980s, but I think this is one of the best albums of the last 205 years. The breadth of style is not often found in a popular recording: from ska, to hardcore and punk to bubblegum pop. The songs are great, and Stephanie's voice is amazing. It's a long album, but none of the songs I consider to be "filler." And "Don't Speak" is just beautiful.

Fantastic record.

David

• 3 weeks later...
Music a bit outside of my regular stuff tonight. Sometimes you just have to have the blues.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13627[/ATTACH]

John Lee Hooker: Mr Lucky.

Forgotten album buried deep in a box in the basement probably, luckily looked it up quick on Spotify and listening on the patio getting ready to grill some steaks.

Thanks!

Robert Cray is smokin on this.

David

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13845[/ATTACH]

Not an album per se, but a collection of 21 rare tracks, available as a digital .wav download only from her web site. If you love this artist, check it out...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13846[/ATTACH]

Tempting. I have all her recordings so it would just be getting some live versions of some songs I guess. Love her, love David Rawlings. She is an honest to god treasure.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Yet another -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17258[/ATTACH]

Melnikov is the common denominator on these five Hindemith sonatas. All are at least good, some are achingly beautiful, including the one on which Melnikov's accompanist is Faust. A Gramophone Editor's Choice this month, well deserved. Available as a download at eClassical (24/96) and Presto Classical (24/96 or 16/44.1).

Thanks for the heads up and for posting where to get t!

David

Sorry for the OT.

The 800s were a bit of an odd choice as I really wanted to upgrade my speakers. But at my local dealer we both agreed that a meaningful upgrade from my current CM8 would already have to be a B&W 805D or even 804D, anything in between would just have been incremental. This would have been a much larger investment, and I couldn't get myself to spend that much cash right now. The return on investment on upgrading my Dac and Amp, both really good in their price range, would probably be even worse.

So I figured, Headphones are the area where about €1000 buys you the absolute high-end, in which other class of components do you get that? I went to a local headphone dealer I know well and compared the Sennheisers with Audez'e LCD2, Grado SR1000, and Oppo PM1, all in the same price range.

In summary, the HD800 is not for everyone, they are just amazingly clean, resolving, and balanced. However, all 3 of the other headphones gave a more immediate "wow" effect, which is completely absent with the Sennheisers. This is probably the most transparent window you get into music.

They do fit my main music tastes (classical and jazz) extremely well, not sure I'd use them if I were mainly listening to Rock for example.

On top of that, they are extremely comfortable, which is obviously really important if you want to use them daily. The Audeze for examples are great, but simply to heavy for me.

Now I only probably need one more follow-up investment, apparently the HD800 really need an external headphone amp. I'm currently running them off the integrated headphone amp of my Exposure DAC, which is decent, but I'm sure you can do better.

Back to topic:

I ended up the evening listening to the last CD of this great box:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17304[/ATTACH]

With the HD800 I was sitting right there with Stan and Kenny in Copenhagen. Amazing.

I have the original double cd of this. I really should spring for the whole set. Poignant, moving, relevant music making by giants.

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...