At home in Piemonte - Sippin' n' chillin!

Brut spumante + James Blake (James Blake) + a few good friends

Aah, Italia

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Album: Arvo Pärt - Alina

Artist: Vladimir Spivakov

This ECM recording is, to me, one of the most beautiful pieces of music written in the past 50 years. If you have not heard it, I urge you to do so - asap.

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Artist: Petra Magoni e Ferruccio Spinetti

Album: Musica Nuda

Listening to this just makes me happy. I'm about to throw some triple-cut pork chops on the grill and open a bottle of sparkling rosato given to me by the butcher. Have I mentioned before how much I love living in Italy?

• 1 month later...

Ciao, Wiseman!

Coincidentally, I had lunch with Janis Siegel last week. Between bites of pasta (I live in Italy) I talked up CA and audio in general and gave her a bunch of listening suggestions. I think she's singing better than ever.

david

Ciao,

I'm good friends with the whole group. If you're headed to see them, let me know. They are all extremely nice people. Did a big party (200 guests) here at my place when they performed close by.

d

Album: Rome

Artists: Danger Mouse e Daniele Luppi

Having a pizza and listening to this modern take on a 60's Italian film score. Molto Bravo, topolino!

• 1 year later...

Very tasty new(to me) player. I'm really enjoying this.imageproxy-2.jpeg

Mr. Musico,

Grazie. I'll check it out later tonight. I just wish that ECM reverses their on again-off again attitudes about Qobuz streaming. I was delighted when I was able to listen to the entire recording in FLAC. My idea was to listen, and if I dug it enough, to then purchase the hires version. Short sighted on their part(IMHO). Here's another little jewel. It's tonight's amuse-bouche while the coals heat up for the barbeque.

ringrazie - david

612HBM-BRLL._SL1120_.jpg

Very hot today(above Genova). Barman, may I have a very cool Luciana Souza. Per favore. Make it a double.

righsqimage.jpg

chetrecordsbig.jpg

This afternoon in the tropical heat; two of my favorite Qobuz purchases:

Giovanni Mirabassi Trio: Live at the Blue Note Tokyo (redbook).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6688[/ATTACH]

Thanks 27Globes for pointing out this great artist to me.

Followed by:

Bach: Orchestral Suites - Freiburger Barockorchester (24/44).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6689[/ATTACH]

By far my favorite version of these immortal classics.

Ciao, Sig. Musico!

How cool is this. I read your post, go to Qobuz, select the Mirabassi and immediately appreciate your recommendation(streamed in flac 16/44). We live in an interesting time. Salute.

It's dark and stormy above Genova today. How about sliced peaches floating in red wine and some John Abercrombie.

51Yx6YEp5HL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Luscious music (disclaimer - Michele Mirelli is a good friend)

8011570339584.jpg

And this one makes me wanna' get up and dance

DavidMurray-Cole-sleeve.jpg

Ryuichi Sakamoto - unplugged. Jaques Morelenbaum(cello) and Judy Kang(violin) perform as trio with the composer. This is absolutely gorgeous music.

imgres.jpeg

MAMBO ITALIANO

Focaccia di Recco - vodka(Russian Standard) with amalfi lemon - and a tasty dessert of Bollani and Ares Tavolazzi(contrabasso) - delizioso

imgres-2.jpeg

buon appetito!!!

b79bf0cdd7a0dc3949827110.L._SY300_.jpg

Beautiful...

I played this, one evening, for two friends(both well known and well respected professional

musicians). They both recognized it immediately.

The jazz player loved it, the classical player-not so much. He commented that Pärt stole it and just took out all the good bits between the notes. The jazzbo admired it because it was beautifully elemental.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I'm curious about where he stole it from as well. The liner note for De Profundis starts with this:

Just took a quick peep at the free score of Spiegel im Spiegel and Für Alina on the net. At a high level, it seems to me that for the former, the piano part is more of less a continuous stream of broken (tonic?) triads and inversions while the violin/cello steps through the scale very slowly. For the latter, the left hand of the piano plays the triad and the right hand plays the scale. The scale is a little more chopped up and the triads on the left hand seems to be arranged to move up and down with the scale part. But the left hand part is now strictly limited to notes in the tonic triad of B minor, except for one note in the 11th phrase. So yes, scale and triad, more or less. And since they are so fundamental, I suppose it would be hard to tell if the stuff is copied from anywhere in particular.

As for taking out the good bits, I'm no professional musician, but for me the stuff that is left is pretty good too. And the fact that so much is removed and what is left is still working so beautifully is quite a miracle. And that in itself is interesting.

Andy

I'm fascinated by this. I'll see my friend soon and will ask him to be more specific. His answer should be interesting. I promise to report back (after a short break at Favignana beach).

• 2 weeks later...

All with a 2005 Barolo Fratelli Revello Vigna Gattera

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7751[/ATTACH]

Bravo, Musicophile! I live in Piemonte, work in the wine business and applaud your choice. Maybe we should start a thread about what to drink with the album of the evening?

Count me in. As part-time alcoholic I'd be very happy to contribute.

Final OT: I go to Piemonte at least every second year for the truffles fair in Alba, and to refill the stocks of Nebbiolo et al.

Back to topic:

Genesis: Trespass

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7768[/ATTACH]

Happy to hear you enjoy Piemonte. Last evening I tasted a few new wines from some friends and then two classics.

Chateau Rossi-Contini 2.jpg

Tonight is a barbera kind of night - cold and rainy. With a side helping of Frank Orange.

imgres-3.jpeg

Whoops, Latour and Margaux in one go. I suppose the two other are at the same level? Could you email some over?

The Latour and Margaux were last bottles in the cellar. The two other wines are made by a friend and very delicious.

CURRENTLY STREAMING FROM QOBUZ: CLARK "feast/beast"

imgres-4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is an interesting take on Bill Evans. I wasn't sure on first listen but now I'm starting to dig it. Is it different just to be different or is it really a great re-interpretation for a new audience?

imgres-6.jpeg

• 6 months later...

imgres.jpg

Listening (to Sidran, a musician I have admired for many years) while catching up on my most favorite thread. I'm only to page 230 and have found so much interesting music. Grazie to all of you and have a good Easter.

Every time I play this I hear something new. Intelligent, beautiful music for a cold and rainy afternoon.

images.jpg

Curious about what those of you who are better versed on Vivaldi think of this. I just listened to it and am really...?

Recomposed-Richter-154ca9cb434a45f5acb4847af3515bfa74ba99fd-s1.jpg

Ciao, Chris. Very insightful(re:Four Seasons). Let's see if anyone else weighs in.

• 3 weeks later...