• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

[video=youtube;u35c-p-tSqU]

''The old man was thin and gaunt with deep wrinkles in the back of his neck. The brown blotches of the benevolent skin cancer the sun brings from its reflection on the tropic sea were

on his cheeks. The blotches ran well down the sides of his face and his hands had the deep-creased

scars from handling heavy fish on the cords. But none of these scars were fresh. They were as old as erosions in a fishless desert.

Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated.'' from ''The Old Man and the Sea'' Ernest Hemingway

''I've been among the prophets saying that high-resolution downloads are the future of audiophile music sales.''

Frans de Rond and Peter Bjørnild have taken this approach with Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.'' Rad Bennett, SoundStage!

The 9 pieces of music were performed live in the studio in front of a select audience.The musicians were placed in front of a stereo pair of microphones with additional spot microphones on each instrument. The musicians were playing without headphones, the reason being that we believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room, without headphones, it creates a number of musical and technical benefits:

As they are not ''separated'' by the headphones, the musicians, in order to hear each other are forced to create a natural and musical balance, a balance which is then easily captured by the main stereo pair of microphones. Because of the natural and musical balance the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary. Since everybody is in the same room, the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.

Like the famous fabric from the Far East the music of Batik consist of multicolored lines creating fascinating patterns, blending traditional forms with new ideas and letting spontaneous interaction merge the elements into a very original sound. BATIK is the latest brainchild of ECM recording artist Wolfert Brederode and Joost Lijbaart. With guitarist Ed Verhoeff and bass guitarist Mark Haanstra they have formed a quartet capable of visual and inventive music making.

Microphones:

Guitar: Audio Technica 4080

Piano: Neumann TLM 170

Bas: Avenson Audio IsoDI, JZV67

Drums: SE Rn17 - overheads and JZ V67 - bassdrum

Main system - Schoeps MK5

Micpre's: RME Micstacy

Microphone cables: Grimm Audio TPR

Mixing headphones: Sennheiser HD800

Mixing speakers: Grimm Audio LS1

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 3/16/2020 at 11:37 PM, kumakuma said:

Gidon Nunes Vaz Quartet - Embrace Me

New from Sound Liaison

folder.thumb.jpg.0315dd2ef42a93233fe4b76cdb629e33.jpg

Superb review in Hifi recording and review.

"

HIFI NEWS AND RECORD REVIEW 

of

Gidon Nunes Vas

EMBRACE ME

Definitely an audiophile recording......

the result is spectacular, with a warm, generous ambience you can almost reach out and touch each instrument;

Gidon Nunez Vaz' trumpet, Timothy Banchet's piano, Thomas Pol's bass and the drums of the splendidly named Yoran Vroom- lovingly captured. And Denise Jannah's vocals on four of the tracks are simply gorgeous. The end result is a gentle, measured and totally appealing set. 

A.E

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 1:36 AM, jiminlogansquare said:

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. Perfect and unique.

7F320FCA-3D16-4C68-A0CB-3ECF61B3A56D.thumb.jpeg.564b13f4ee733ccd8cbda3775550aa3f.jpeg

Great to see a Carmen McRae fan here. She is maybe the best ballad singer in history.

There is a great interview with former band member drummer Joey Baron here.

He talks about his own career but goes into great detail about his time in her band.

https://pabloheldinvestigates.com/joey-baron/

I’ve listened to lots of Monk, from his original recordings to interpretations from the likes of Fred Hersch, Lynne Arriale, Vijay Iyer and more. Carmen McRae sings Monk, but it’s more like a suite of horn solos. The addition of lyrics—these lyrics-- augments the spirit of the underlying notes and phrases, and Carmen further transforms it all, keeping it within the world of Monk while building bridges to make that world more accessible. And maybe now, when I hear a Monk tune, I will more readily recognize not only the composer but the tune itself—I now have words, and stories, to connect the musical dots.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:09 AM, AnotherSpin said:

As you may know, the After The Fall album contains the first recording made after several years of Jarret's hiatus caused by chronic fatigue syndrome. Strangely, it was released just as Jarrett was suffering the consequences of a stroke, as we know now... 

Such tragic news.

24 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Melody Gardot Sunset in the Blue AIFF 24/96. Lovely.

image.jpeg.00e78ed7d8b8bde4428839b6a0850981.jpeg

I have started to appreciate Melody Gardot more on her later albums. Her singing style has a certain sameness to it but on the later albums the songs fits that way of singing better imo as on the album mentioned here.