IGNORED

New rig for an office

Hi Everyone,

It's time for me to upgrade the rig of my office. Currently consists of some Genelecs 8020 and a Lavry DA10 (already sold), and a computer as transport.

The budget for my new rig is about $5000 (can be extended if justified), and I need to buy: speakers, amp, and DAC. The transport will be a laptop.

The rig will be placed in my office. Given that there are people passing close to my door, I don't want my office to look like a disco. So, near field performance at moderate/low levels is what I'm looking for. That means the loudspeakers must be monitors that play well in bookshelves or stuck to the door.

I'll be visiting this summer Japan, so I'm very tempted to buy a Leben CS300 or a Accuphase E-250 there given the good prices in Japan.

As for speakers I've been reading good review of the Amphion Argon3 (although it might be too much for the small Leben CS300), Devore 3XL, Proac Response D2, Coincident monitors, etc. However I'm placed in Europe, and get a North American monitor might be a problem.

As for DACS, I'm looking at the usual suspects: Calyx 24/192, Lite DAC83, Wyred DAC2, Eastern Electric minimax, etc.

Of course, with this amount of money I would expect the rig to perform very well with all sort of music, from Rock to Classic. Although the main use will be with Jazz and female voices.

The difficulty here is to get synergy. This is another case where the buyer, me, won't be able in real terms to listen

the whole rig before purchase. Any suggestion of a system with good synergy about $5000 for near-field listening?.

Thanks a lot.

Since you're visiting Japan, look at the Luxman SQ N100. I got one (indirectly) from Japan and saved 1/3 on the price in NYC. It's driving 87 db efficiency speakers with no problems, is small enough that it won't consume valuable real estate in your office and it's a superior headphone amp (see the 6 moons review) which might make good sense in an office environment.

You're using a laptop -- which player? Will you be playing anything more than redbook quality?

5K is a nice budget for an office system, but then you'll probably use it more than the one in your home.

Luxman SQ N100 integrated amp - Sonics Anima monitors - MacBook Pro with Amarra player - Wavelength Proton DAC- Oppo BDP 95 universal player - Art Audio cables

Hi,

yes, the SQN100 looks very nice, and it has a very good price at Japan

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1050&category=17

and you are right about headphones. I use often some Grado RS1, and JH13s. A good headphone output is welcome, but the true is I listen more and more to speakers.

As for the player I use foobar and JRiver with a laptop running windows. 99% of files are redbook, but I'll get a solution that accepts 24/96 from the computer to be prepared for new HD wave.

About home.... it's funny. I don't have anything special at home, just a $200 stereo radio. The reason is that my wife detests my musical tastes. So I enjoy 'audiophile' music mainly at work.

Best.

I am looking for the same type of system for my home office, which will be the only place I do any critical listening, and was thinking about starting my own thread tonight. Before I do, I will mention that I have read some great things about the Cary Xciter series - killer DAC for $1500 and matched tube amp for $2800. Add some PSB Imagine Mini's for $700 a pair (not on market yet, but recieved universal aclaim from reviewers at the 2011 CES), and you're right about at budget. This is probably my high-end option. The lower end option I am considering is the Wadia 151 powerDAC (integrated DAC/amp)- a well reviewed unit for $1200.

I don't know. That seems kind of arbitrary to me. The ridiculous range of speaker costs pretty much ensures that for most audiophiles, they will be the most expensive components. But in small spaces, like my home office, a pair of much smaller high quality speakers might have sufficient accuracy and imaging to provide the optimal experience and still be relatively economical. I have been looking at sub-$1000 sets, including some Martin Logans, the Focal Dome with subwoofer, and the PSB Imagine Minis (which I have not yet personally heard). In that case, I will probably be spending more on the upstream components.

Should not be the most expensive the speakers, then amp, and finally DAC?. I've the impression this is the order of importance in the final sound.

It depends if you ask Quad or if you ask Linn!!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

That is funny. I'm fortunate that my wife has similar taste to mine.

I see lots of suggestions for pricey components. Maybe you'll want to survey the space and think about best placement and some vibration isolation. Those considerations can give you a lot more bang-for-buck.

Luxman SQ N100 integrated amp - Sonics Anima monitors - MacBook Pro with Amarra player - Wavelength Proton DAC- Oppo BDP 95 universal player - Art Audio cables

I would love to be in your position. I would pick the Focal CMS 65s. Great speaker not too big and can be adjusted via it's controls for position and they have plenty of power with its built in amps. Then I would get a very good dac. Wyred for sound DAC2 or a Blue Circle 509 with Halide Bridge. And maybe add a better player for your laptop. Not sure what you have today though.

Note: with most laptops an external drive and some tweaking via more memory will also help sound quality.

And you come in under budget, who does't like that!

Hmm...sounds like a fun project. I'd love to have the option of a small system at work, but I share a cozy space and require the headphone route.

How large is your office? When you say near field, are you talking 3 ft or 7 ft? I think there are plenty of options under $1500 that will satisfy the speaker requirement...but fitting them to your room size and how they'll be mounted is something you don't want to overlook, or you'll never achieve the sound you want. Otherwise, you might just want to get an el'cheapo system that makes sound :)

Check out the new Bel Canto DAC's along with a Bel Canto amp such as the S300 or 500. They are all half size and you can drive the amp directly with the DAC as pre-amp. Speaker wise the choice is pretty endless but the Acoustic Zen Adagio Junior's deserve a shot. That would be one sweet system. I have the Bel Canto's hooked up to the Acoustic Zen Adagios (the bigger brother) and these produce some pretty astounding sound together.