IGNORED

Rega DAC, Benchmark DAC1, Music Hall 25.3

I absolutely love the sound from a Benchmark, but in sorting through the DAC options in the same range, people are telling me the the Rega DAC is purely awesome.

I went to look at a one yesterday, and it is impressive, heavy and well built. I plan on borrowing one to listen to perhaps next weekend.

But while I was there, the Rega was sitting atop a Music Hall 25.3, and the darn thing caught my attention. It looks great, can easily be set to upsample or not, and well - it's also $400 cheaper. Also my dealer was telling me it is a hacker's paradise, which appeals to me, if perhaps not so much to my better half.

Never having heard either one, I was hoping some of you guys might have opinions about either one, and be able to give me some pointers of what to listen for when I audition them.

I would be happy with the Benchmark, but it is getting little long in the tooth, and at least the DAC 1 version, does not have USB on it.

Not absolutely trying to stay in the $1K range, but would like to. The remote (bedroom and office) systems will have Arcam rDacs on them. Our little DacMagic was dealt a crushing blow Friday night - literally. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

excellent results can be obtained by using a Trends Audio TA 10

Usb dac and connecting its aes/ebu digital output to the Benchmark.

A $100 solution !!!

Mac mini(2010),Weiss INT 202,EMM Labs Dac2,Audio Research Ref5 ,Edge nl 10.1,Kharma 3.2.2

Hello Paul-

I really love the Music Hall DAC25.3, especially after I modified it. I installed 3 Burson discrete Op Amps, 1 Burson 24.576mHz Clock, and 4 MCap MKP and 4 Auricap Capacitors. These upgrades made a huge difference in EVERY aspect of the Music Hall's sonic performance: increased dynamics, substantial removal of grain, greater definition across the board, instrumentation/voices had more weight and impact, much more depth to the sound stage, and an overall leap in regards to the presentations naturalness (note: this was for the DAC only, I didn't hear a difference over headphones). I also swapped out the tube for a Siemens E188CC which brought a larger sense of holography to the presentation. For USB I use a M2Tech Hiface which adds more detail and separation.

I owned the Benchmark and I feel that the Music Hall when modified is a much much stronger performer. I have not heard the REGA, so I can't comment on the comparisons.

Hope that helps-

Lece

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Aldous Huxley