IGNORED

Not getting full 96kHz/24-bit when playing...

I just setup my newly purchased Marantz SR6005. I also just downloaded some high def audio tracks from HDTracks but I'm not sure I'm getting the full quality from my receiver.

The tracks in question are a 96kHz/24-bit recording and a 176kHz/24-bit recording. The Marantz does support up to 192kHz/24-bit. I converted the FLAC flies to ALAC so I can play them through iTunes.

I have the Marantz directly connected to my MacPro via an optical cable. The tracks play just fine, but when I view the "audio input signal" on the Marantz OSD it only shows 44.1kHz (the display doesn't show the bits). Why would I not be getting the full 96/24 and 176/24?

Thanks!

Hi!

You have to change the output in iTunes/Quicktime to the desired value - every time you play a different file.

I've heard, when you buy Amarra or something similar, it changes automatically.

This is one of the reasons, I don't use & like iTunes.

Bernhard

1)(as noted by EuroChamp) Use better software that automatically sets the appropriate sample rate/ bit depth in Audio Midi. See for example Audirvana. Its free and sounds spectacular!

2) the optical output of the Mac is likely limited to a maximum of 24/96.

Alix 2d13/Voyage MPD [linear PSU]-> Musical Fidelity V-LINK -> Musical Fidelity V-DAC [Little Pinkie linear PSU] -> Marantz PM7001 -> Kef iQ7SE

Thanks!

I just downloaded the Pure Music demo and the 96/24 files worked. But my 176/24 files aren't working as suggested by the limits of the Mac. However, they are showing up as 44.1kHz. Why wouldn't they be the max supported 96/24?

Is this a limitation of the MacPro/OSX or the MacPro sound card? Is there a replacement soundcard that will support above 96/24?