IGNORED

Newbie Question On Setup...

I just purchased a Marantz SR6005. If I want to play high def music tracks from HDTracks via my MacPro (8-Core from 2008) via the optical output, do I need anything else besides a optical cable to connect the MacPro to the Marantz? Am I getting the best quality going direct from the MacPro to the Marantz?

Thanks!

What sort of digital inputs does the Marantz have?

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Yes, a basic TOSLink connection from MacPro to the Marantz is all you need.

You may get an improvement in SQ using an asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter such as Musical Fidelidy V-Link; Halide Bridge or M2Tech HiFace.

The biggest issue with using the MacPro with you Marantz will be one if physical noise - the MacPro isn't known for it's silence. If you're just wanting music a SqueezeBox Touch may be a more appropriate interface.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm not sure I understand why I'd get better quality with a USB to SPDIF converter... wouldn't direct with nothing in between be better?

I do have an Apple TV2 (well, will have in a few days). Since that will be directly connected to the Marantz via HDMI, would I get better SQ using the Apple TV as my music server, which will then get the files over WiFi? Wouldn't that be the same as a SqueezeBox?

The one problem I can see is ATV doesn't support FLAC, but I could convert to ALAC. Most of my lossless stuff is ALAC anyway. Only newer HDTracks files would be FLAC.

Thanks!

In my system the Squeezebox touch was a good source but would not replace my Macbook for quality of transport. If the Macbook Pro is doing nothing but serving up music it should be as good as the Macbook. I do think that it is important to get the files off on anexternal drive if using itunes because it is better sounding and if at all possbile try one of the better players like Pure Music which use memory play.

As for the Apple TV, I cannot comment on the new one but the old one was not suitable as a transport in my main system and much lower in quality than the Touch.

As far as why USB to SPdif might be better than toslink and that is a big might. It has to do with the some converters and their innate jitter performance as it compares wiht Toslink. Some sound better some do not. In some cases well done async converters ignore computers clock and control the timing of the digital stream. Read Chris' CA academy primers for the pros of this method.

And the big might I referred to has to do with usb/spdif converters. They do not all sound the same and all async are not better than some adaptive.

That should keep you busy for a while:)

FYi- I am a big believer in using a very good toslink to hear what it can offer and have used it for years but have noted in my system that the performance of the Halide Bridge is better overall and have adopted it in the last year or so.

...why I'd get better quality with a USB to SPDIF converter...

The assummption is that this can lower the jitter sent to your receiver. Optical interfaces & (especially) ATV's have a reputation for high jitter. You may or may not hear a difference, but I would speculate the difference would be minor at best.

Hard-wiring computer to audio gear will generally yield better SQ, but again, the difference you hear may be minor, given your receiver.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

So from the looks of it, at this time, the Apple TV can only do CD quality audio with my ALAC files. If I get higher res files it will downsample them so I'd need to play those directly from my computer.

I'll check out Pure Music as well.

Thanks!

Kinda depends of course. Too many factors to even speculate. I use HDMI on the Apple TV that is in the living room, and the digital connection everywhere else. (Well in two other places. I use the digital connections on the Airport Express units too.)

Pure guess on my part, but the digital might sound better for music and the HDMI might sound better with TV.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein