IGNORED

Connecting 2 spkrs to 5-channel amp

I want to Y the stereo outputs of a cdp into 4 inputs of a 5-channel amp and Y connect 2 speakers to 4 outputs of the amp. Simple, but I'm wondering about the 5th unconnected channel. Does it need an input and/or output?

I have a Lexicon 5 channel amp for use with 3 speakers in my home theater set up, 2 of the channels are not hooked to anything, and it works fine, it just powers the 3 speakers that are hooked up to it. I use a 2 channel power amp for the two main speakers, everything works as it should. Hope that helps!

Soundsolution is correct that there is (usually) no issue with leaving a channel of a multi-channel amp unconnected - assuming it's a typical Class AB solid state amp not a Class A or a valve amp.

I'm a little confused/concerned about you comment on "using a Y connector" to the speakers. If using multiple amplifiers for a single speaker you need speakers capable of being bi-amped and then two runs of speaker cable to the two terminal sets in the speaker. Also ensure you remove the link below the HF and LF terminals.

This maybe what you meant but it was (to me) unclear.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for your help.

The amp is a ss Panasonic 100w/channel. I was planning to run 2 amps to each speaker to make 200w to each with the hi/low tie in place. Yes, the speakers are bi-ampable so I can do what you say, Eloise - and will. Thanks for your advice.

You cannot do that. With the "hi-low tie in place," each amp will shunt the other leading to poor sound and damage to the amps. If you remove the "hi-low tie," you can do this but you will not be getting 200w as the outputs will not sum.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile