IGNORED

thought I'd check with the group before I declare my Gustard R26 DOA

I have sent a message to the seller, but never know how long they will take to reply, so thought I'd check if anyone here has encountered a similar problem with the Gustard R26.

I can't get my new R26 to work... no sound. I tried the USB input, the Coax input, two different streamers/sources, two different amps, every remote control function. I checked if there are any menu options like "mute" but can't find any.

One clue seems to be that the display reads USB 768k even though my USB source (an Aurender N100) says it's playing 44.1k. Also when I switch to Coax, the display says 96k even though my source (in this case an iFi Link connected to my MacBook) should say 48K as I'm streaming YouTube videos.

There is evidence that the R26 is connecting as a USB device. My Aurender reports that I have connected a device to it and Aurender starts playing the file. The Aurender wouldn't do that if it couldn't see a device. Also when I switch inputs on the R26, the Aurender reports that the audio device has been disconnected. So the USB circuitry inside the R26 is working. There's just no sound.

EDIT: wondering also if I have the voltage set right. When it arrived, the two slide switches on the back for setting the voltage showed 220 visible. I slid them to the other direction, 110 (I'm in the US). The display lights up and the remote works. Maybe one of the switches didn't make contact, say the analog side. I'll check again.

The manufacturer said to connect my phone via bluetooth. While the unit was powered down I connected the bluetooth antenna to the back of the R26. When I powered it up, the USB input was working fine and it was making sound. I'm a little suspicious it's going to fail again, and I doubt connecting the bluetooth antenna had anything to do with it, but I'll burn it in and keep an eye on it.

I'm not going to pay attention to the sound until at least 5 days of burn-in. I want to compare it to the refurbished PS Audio DS DAC I got and I can't afford much more than 5 or 6 days burn-in to each DAC if I want to have time for comparing and then have the return window still open. I read in a review of the DS DAC that it took over a month to finish burn-in, but I'll just have to hope it's major character is revealed before then.

I assume all used items I buy as already "burned in." Refurbished? Maybe not so much. But you can't always trust web comments about something taking X-hours to burn in to explain everything about an item's sound character. PS Audio has introduced a new DS DAC and they take owner's previous Model 1 DS DACs as trade in for the newer model. A lot of folks have taken advantage of that offer. Hence, PS Audio has a lot of used DS 1 DACs in stock and are refurbing them and selling them at fairly cheap prices. If that's what you got then likely its more than "burned in" already.

I do find if I buy something and have issues with it not functioning as expected out of the box that my opinion is colored about that item. But not always.

I bought a R26 DAC and I remember that it worked fine and I'm pretty sure the BT antenna was not connected because I wouldn't use BT to connect to my DAC. I did return it a few days after purchase because I didn't like it enough to replace my existing DAC at the time. It was fine. Just not the miracle some folks make it out to be. I got a new Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC this past week and yes, it is a keeper.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

9 hours ago, creativepart said:

I do find if I buy something and have issues with it not functioning as expected out of the box that my opinion is colored about that item. But not always.

Even if I decide I like the R26 better than the PS Audio DS DAC, I'm probably going to exchange this one. A day of not functioning, then sudden functioning, is not a good sign for long-term reliability.

I'm comparing it first to my previous DAC, a custom modified Gustard x20pro. The x20pro is an earlier model and not up to their latest standards, stock, but the guy I use for mods did some pretty cool stuff to it. Bypass caps all over the underside of the circuit board to stabilize power, grounded strips of ERS paper to reduce RFI, damping material on the crystal, beefing up the power supply. It sounds awesome. So far, on first listen to the R26, the R26 is nowhere near as dynamic and extended as my x20pro. But I'll give it some time. Also, I may have the same guy modify the R26.

Like I said, I have owned for a year. No issues. Heck, I have owned my TEAC UD-501 for 8 years already. Before that had an SMSL that died after the 90 day warranty expired.

I also have an old version of the iFi NANO. 3 versions before MQA was introduced to it. I lost the flash drive with the drivers, so I took it to AXPONA to ask iFi. They were amazed I had the original packaging that they took a picture of me holding it for the factory. Quite fun.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

My R26 has been burning in for 30 hours or so now. Maybe it's too soon to tell anything, but I noticed that it sounds quite dark. Compared to my modified x20pro, it's missing the top octave and it's very sleepy. In classical music, tempos drag due to a lack of audible detail to carry the music along from one chord to the next. It could perhaps be more exciting with the right EQ but I prefer equipment that doesn't need EQ.

Anyone else hear the R26 this way? Or is this another problem with my unit, along with the first problem? I wonder.

52 minutes ago, mike1127 said:

My R26 has been burning in for 30 hours or so now. Maybe it's too soon to tell anything, but I noticed that it sounds quite dark. Compared to my modified x20pro, it's missing the top octave and it's very sleepy. In classical music, tempos drag due to a lack of audible detail to carry the music along from one chord to the next. It could perhaps be more exciting with the right EQ but I prefer equipment that doesn't need EQ.

Anyone else hear the R26 this way? Or is this another problem with my unit, along with the first problem? I wonder.

My wife does not find mine Dark - the exact opposite too analytical and bright for her. I do not find it dark, either, analytical yes.

I am using Balanced output to my pre-amp or Integrated. Also, I think mine does not have the most recent update either which is 1.42.

I bought mine from Shenzhen Audio.

Not sure what is going on there.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects