IGNORED

Benchmark Dac One vs Denafrips Pontus 2

gazou08

Question

4 answers to this question

The DAC 1 is now about 12 years old - and it uses an older sigma-delta DAC chip. It's super resolving but not very pleasant sounding, in my opinion.  I would characterize it as harsh, even.

The Denifrips DAC is a much newer design bases on R2R technology and is a warmer, more "analog" sounding DAC. Comparted to the DAC 1 it would be a huge change, and one you'd likely be happy with.

I owned the DAC 1 (USB) years ago and moved on to other more pleasant sounding DACs a long time ago. I would not want to go back to the DAC 1's sound character. I've had at least 4-DACs since then and my current DAC is the Chord Hugo TT2. It's not a R2R Dac but offers resolving detail with a much more pleasant overall sound quality. When I was DAC shopping the Pontus 2 was on my list, so was the Holo Audio Spring 3 Level 2. I didn't audition them but folks who have rave about their sound.

I've heard people say in forums that the Benchmark DAC 3 is a better sounding DAC but Benchmark's house sound is hyper-detail and I find that sound fatiguing and prefer more musical sounding DACs with lots of soundstage and separation between instruments.

Good luck in your choices.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3