IGNORED

FM Acoustics FM 1000 power amps

Hi guys. I have a pair of mono FM acoustics FM1000 amps that have been in storage since the 1990s. Their serial numbers are quite far apart and some of the internal components were changed in the later model. Obviously, I don’t want to just plug them in and put 240v into them after they have been sat for 30 years and I am sure that they are going to need some work. I am looking to sell them at some point. My question is - would I be better off (financially) to try and find someone who can get them up and running and then sell them or just sell them as they are and let the buyer have them looked at? I understand that is somewhat dependent on how much work they need but I was wondering what other people would do in my shoes. (I have lots of pictures and video if that helps)IMG_5594.jp2IMG_5601.jp2IMG_5625.jp2

FM acoustics is famous for their transistor matching by measuring and handpicking, their circuit design relies on the precisely matched transistor.

Generally it is hard to repair to their originally intended spec, IMO it is better to sell it as is unmolested

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

Even the best electrolytic capacitors can dry out, and after 30 years, oh. It's a big ask of them to retain their values.

Even with slow reforming process, if the capacitor is dry like a resistor, it can cause all sorts of irregular voltages on the driver circuits, and that can destroy transistors.

The slow reform would have to compare the service manual data against actual values and back off if anything goes wrong. I'd be against wholesale changing of caps for these units, materials like PCB can become brittle, then there's nothing to hang components off any more.

I'd send them back to FM Acoustics for them to repair FOC as bold as brass. These units have historic significance, if a company loses its heritage  (like HP, Apple) you lose the connection of what you made the company it is today.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA