IGNORED

Rpi Volumio alternatives for large libraries

Hi Mike,

I feel for you!
I may assume there are a couple of music lovers in the networked music domain that share your pain.

Imho, looking to cover your library completely with one single solution may prove costly and time consuming. Therefore I won't suggest any software or hardware to fiy your problem:
- I would start in a pareto style (20/80) of way to minimize the library, after having already deducted the biggest files (do only top 5 %) for manual selection.
- If you are anyway upsampling with HQP, you may need to decide if you need to have music in the most space demanding formats?
- With 1.5-2 TB you may be even completely busy with listening for your foreseeable future.
- There might come some interest in feeding a bit more at times, when you could use a portable source for USB input at the integrated RPI. just copy your desired files there ... in case you remember them ;-)

This may demand some time and effort, but it helps as well to keep unwanted garbage away from your music system.
To be fair, if you can't think about and search for it, you may not really need it somewhere near your DAC,  so to speak :-)
Good luck, Tom

I just noticed the recent version of MoOde by Tim Curtis this evening
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/releases

Looked up posts about library capacity. Here's a quote:
"

BigScaryTiger Wrote: Well my moOde library has 110,786 files in in apparently.  99.98% of those will be lossless and quite a number of those are now 24bit.  
I don't have any unreasonable issue with responsiveness.  #justsaying

This is good info,  what is your hardware?

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+  that connects to a Buffalo LS220D0602-EU 6TB LinkStation 220D 2 Bay Desktop NAS "

Worth a shot ?
4 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks for this info. 

I have avoided trying Moode because there are some setup details that looked more complicated than I prefer because they are done in terminal. Might be worth experimenting and seeing what I can get working. 

My understanding has been that Moode and Volumio are branches of the same basic code, so I assumed there wouldn't be major differences between their library management capacity.  I guess I should try it before assuming anything. 

I think Tim Curtis has established his own moode forum to support any questions ....