IGNORED

HiFi Privacy, Data, Groups ... and You May Be The Product

10 hours ago, botrytis said:

Windows 11 is easy to shut off the 'phone home' features. I have them ALL off.

I suspect the vast majority of Windows 11 users do not know how to do this, or even know that they should.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

18 hours ago, firedog said:

Hopefully one day there will be laws in place that force users consent for their data to be collected, and also require payment to collect data. No reason those companies should make billions in profit b/c they mine all that for free, and without full consent. 

The European Union have tried something like this with GDPR. (Plus, like many things, it has been retained in UK law after Brexit) GDPR covers the consent aspect but has nothing with respect to mined data being paid for.

I am not sure if it is working as intended though, and it is still being developed. Very much a work in progress.

Many people just see GDPR as an inconvenience, having to click that annoying consent button yet again, and delaying access to to whatever is linked by a few seconds.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 1 month later...

Music streaming data shared = I am not that bothered, if I am honest.

Car driving data shared = Will you visit me in prison?

36 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Where the heck are you driving?  ;-)

Well, it’s either where I’m driving, or the speed I’m driving at to get there….

I was not being entirely serious above, but I guess it does make a point about the value of data and the potential consequences of it being widely available.

A troubling example of this is what the Chinese government are doing with the data of their citizens.