IGNORED

Digital only stereo related, cost question

Peter Bomberg

I agree with the OP's ratios as a starting point, too often people try to economize on amps.  But two other important considerations.  First, you need to listen to the speaker/amp combinations before you buy.  Second, you might upgrade one sooner than the other, and that will throw off your ratios.  My ratios have typically been "off" in one direction or another because my last purchase has always been my highest end purchase

On 1/16/2024 at 8:46 AM, jcbenten said:

My system is nowhere near $50K...but if I as building one for that budget:

80% Active Speakers

15% Analog TT system (TT + preamp, etc)

5% Streamer/Cables/etc...

KISS system...

I did not realize you could spend $40K on active speakers.  The most expensive I've seen are the B&Ws for about $5K.  Maybe B&O for $10-20K?  But with B&O you are paying a hefty premium for design, so I would not call those audiophile.  Please advise

14 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I would not call these $90K B&Os "audiophile" either.  They do not succumb to audiophile foibles but are based on solid engineering and acoustical science.  https://www.stereophile.com/content/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-loudspeaker

117bo.promo_.jpg

They are gorgeous!  And I would not be at all surprised if they sound great.  When I use the term audiophile, I mean a person who is primarily interested in great sound.  But I do not mean to be classist about it--I think audiophile systems are available for just a few thousand dollars from NAD, Schiit, B&W, used gear, etc; and there are certainly expensive systems that sound meh

On the B&O's--if you're telling me that they perform at about the same level as Wilsons or Magicos that I might drop $80-100K on, then I stand corrected, and acknowledge them as audiophile. 

But if you're telling me they sound only as good as, say, Wilson Sashas that I might buy for $50K, and the other $40K is for their style,  I would say they sound amazing, but that's not really an audiophile product as much as it is a lifestyle product.

4 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I assume the ATCs that Chris cited are great, based on having heard other ATCs and their excellent reputation, and I'll go either way on the B&Os depending on the answer to my question above.

But it's hard to know from the CAT website whether these guys are audiophile or just really high service/price.  I do like that they will travel to my yacht or plane 

2 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I cannot argue directly with that point because I have heard the Wilsons and Magicos only at dealers and shows and I have heard the B&Os only at B&O and in my own home.  That said, I definitely preferred the B&Os and, if I were considering a purchase at that level, I would certainly gravitate towards them.

That's good enough for me!  Definitely an audiophile product.  Thanks