IGNORED

Will an external DAC improve music audio quality for me?

Gamboge

6 hours ago, Gamboge said:

I have an aorus b650i. Can't find much discussion on its audio quality.

Don't know how I missed that. Guess the Schiit Modi 3E is what I meant. Not sure how that would affect the "impedance matching" though with the built-in amp. What I'm getting from this is the only way to know is to actually try it?

Schiit Modi has no amp or volume control so you won’t be able to connect your IEM to it.

To replace ALC4080, you need a DAC and an amp. ALC4080 is actually DAC+amp.

I think @bogi has some great suggestions of products in your price range.

And yes, I think you’re hearing from all of us that the only way is to try a DAC+amp product and see if it sounds better to you compared to the ALC4080. It probably will. Personally, I suspect I have 70-80% confidence that an external DAC+amp would sound better to you with your Aria IEMs.

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

I hate to disagree with our fearless leader, but it is an absolute no-brainer to buy an external DAC.  You, your wife, and even your philistine friends will all notice a difference.  The Schiit you mention is a great choice, and you can return it for a small restocking fee if I'm wrong.  The Audioquest Dragonfly line is also worth a look for a minimalist approach.  Probably not as good as the Schiit, but probably returnable with zero risk from Best Buy or Amazon.

So the reason I agree with @The Computer Audiophile’s reservations is that @Gamboge is using IEMs. I used to have more wired IEMs and I’ve driven them from my desktop or laptop or iPhone or iPad built in DACs and compared them to my Chord Mojo. Depending on the IEM and how easy or hard it is to drive, I have to admit, the amp portion of Chord isn’t really doing much so you’re essentially just hearing the DAC section and while I can hear an improvement, it is definitely not as dramatic an improvement I get from listening through full sized headphones which require more power to drive. So given the price range @Gamboge is thinking of, I would have some reservations to strongly recommend buying blind.