IGNORED

Article: Upgrades To My Immersive Audio System, Plus One Deep Question

20 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I vote for 2 (or more) subs.  Moving air is easily accomplished with bigger and/or more subs.  However, in the two quite different rooms and systems I have experimented with, the immediate advantage of a 2nd or 3rd sub (without any EQ/DSP) was a flattening of the in-room LF performance.  The more, the better.

Tangentially, initial work with DiracLive-ART capitalizes on that phenomenon by taking advantage of the bass contributions of all the in-room speakers without using bass management.  If your main speakers have extended bass abilities (and yours do), they both contribute to and benefit from being part of the multiple bass source effort.

On the other hand, the task is simplified because this is a system optimized for a single seat. The flattening of the response only has to occur at a single spot. 

I would think that a single Submerge placed in the ideal spot with proper DSP will be hard to improve upon. The obvious limitation is "ideal spot." If that turns out to be somewhere that just can't work, like where one of the main L-R speakers is or on top of your desk,  then additional subs in less than ideal spots may be better. 

I vote for at least 3 just in case

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

20 minutes ago, PeterG said:

but I can at least try".  Then I saw the price...oops

which brings up some things to seriously consider....

• what are the alternatives when you are considering $30,000 for a subwoofer? 
  • what does Wilson offer that you can't get for much less (besides matching paint and bragging rights) ?

Home theater has driven the market for subs so there are a tremendous number of options. You can successfully argue (at least convince yourself)  that Wilson offers something unique in full range and  surround speakers. You can even convince yourself that there is value for your dollar, but you will be hard pressed to make a convincing argument that it takes $30,000 to do what the Submerge does.

this is not one of the options for < $30K

image.png.563eb41292333bda1dd3b231e81f26b8.png

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768