IGNORED

PGGB and HQPlayer Discussion

On 12/21/2023 at 6:13 PM, Miska said:

If you listen to the drumming in Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize track, you get the idea where for example poly-sinc-gauss-short and poly-sinc-gauss shine. Or for example Opeth - Eternal Rains Will Come track. (to list few of my test tracks)

😊 … for „soundchecks“ I also always put Porcupine Tree in my playlist. Mostly from the „In Absentia“ album (drums are left pretty clean on that) and also the track „Cheating the Polygraph“ from the „Nil Recurring“ EP (because it contains quite some aliasing - unlike other Porcupine Tree albums).
Since you seem to have a connection to this kind of music I‘d also recommend an album called „Rain Tree Crow“ (selftitled). It‘s a live studio session recording from the members of the former „Japan“ band (David Sylvian, Steve Jansen, Richard Barbieri, Mick Karn) and as far as transients go this album is definitely one to check out. Appart from being absolutely outstanding musically/creatively. The original Redbook from 1991 is fine, but the 2003 remaster is one of those remasters that actually improve the sound (-balance) IMHO … still very dynamic.

„There’s no one-filter-fits-all.“
Poly-Sinc-Gauss! 😊
It really works fine for everything.
A joy to listen to with all kinds of music (through loudspeakers). I love it! It‘s so damn clean!

… somewhat off topic, sorry 😉

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, Mista Lova Lova said:

I really wouldn't want this seemingly endless discussion to continue in this thread

I've already admitted that I am probably in the wrong thread as I am not all interessetd in (too) long filters

Find a track that has 0 apodising errors and then listen to it using Sinc-L and then Sinc-M(x).

For such a track I'd use poly-sinc-gauss-halfband...

Please let's not get into technical details anymore so that we can move on to the actual impressions

Well I was talking about listening impressions.

As far as technical knowledge goes I am happy that I can tell stereo from mono

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

5 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

which product’s long filters caused you to hear things that way?

iZotope SRC, SoX, Wavelab, JRiver SSRC, HQPlayer (the long filters), r8brian, XiSRC, several built-in DAC-filters

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, who peed in your breakfast this morning?

What? I am super relaxed!

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If you don’t like something just move on. 

Aye aye, Sir!

10 hours ago, bogi said:

I did that. With a recording recommended to me for transient smearing test by @copy_of_a about a year ago. I uploaded a 60 sec snippet of it and asked people on head-fi to process it with PGGB. 

Good morning, @bogi!

Just for a little claryfication: that was one of the tracks when we talked about headphone crossfeed.

With regard to transients I would choose other tracks. Mainly 44.1kHz files with (not overly processed) acoustic drums.

For hires in general I feel the filter can be even shorter and gentler; I use poly-sinc-hires-lp (aka „mp3/mqa“), respectively poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp lately.