IGNORED

JPlay IOS Questions

Hello everyone, not sure if this question is for Marcin or Miska.

i just got hqplayer embedded up and running with my rpi5, and is able to stream qobuz from the hqp client app.

jplay iOS automatically detects the hqplayer embedded but can’t stream tracks to it, I got an error message about “error sending action to the renderer”.

are there settings within jplay iOS or embedded that needs to some how enable upnp to make this work?

Thanks

Deric

IMG_8946.jpeg

3 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

These are my settings for HQPlayer embedded in JPlay for iOS and everything works fine, try them

IMG_3076.jpeg

Thanks I will give these a try. Its funny because Jplay ios was simple plug and play when I connect it to my mini pc with jriver as a upnp and media server, and from jriver I can play back to hqplayer desktop.

So I thought why not try simplify the setup with just Jplay ios upnp to Embedded and if that works maybe I will consider a Embedded license, but that was giving me trouble. I think I tried the safe transition mode as well and that didn't work. Will have to play around with that.

29 minutes ago, feelingears said:

[EDIT]: I get a similar error about "renderer busy" or something, using NAS/LMS and a Rivo streamer. I find that I just need to tap the song I wish to play a second time and things sort themselves out. A similar situation is when I change my mind and start another track, the previous track or next track begins playing and I have to stop that track then start the new track again. UPnP is funny stuff! LOL

What is more annoying is when playback somehow continues after I stop it, and I effectively lose control of the playback. I can't see what's playing, and I can't stop it until I stumble upon the taps that cause playback to stop. Whatevs. Not sure if it's Jplay or UPnP but in general UPnP is less usable than iTunes (seriously) which largely just works (I stop, start, change my mind, whatever, it responds). But, Jplay does sound better so I use it. I appreciate the effort since I don't have an Aurender yet!

Anyway, hope this might help - I just tap the song again after the error message goes away, and then playback begins.

Thank but that didn't work for me.

Deric

3 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

How can you play from JRiver to HQPlayer Desktop? It hasn’t UPNP capability … are you sure you’re running Embedded on rpi5?

Confusing it is.

2 setups

I have a hqplayer desktop license. My current setup is jplay iOS upnp to a mini pc windows 11 running jriver upnp/media server,  usb out to a rpi4 as an input NAA, usb out to a hqplayer desktop pc.

That works rock solid and allows me to use jplay upnp to jriver for both my local digital content as well as qobuz 

But I like to try embedded to simplify the setups so I installed trial version of embedded on a rpi5 running Rpi os lite, and tried to use jplay iOS upnp to the rpi5 running embedded. That’s giving me issues with connection. But I can run hqp client streaming qobuz to the rpi5 running embedded.

Just now, stefano_mbp said:

@dericchan1 … that’s clear now … can you try to use MConnect Player Lite (the free version) with your rpi5/embedded just to understand if it works?

Thanks, that would be my next step to try. But since I subscribed to the annual subscription for jplay iOS obviously I tried that first. I have a feeling i did not set up properly for bookworm version of embedded perhaps missing a dependency or something but i will give mconnect a try 

• 1 month later...

Folks, not sure if this is a jplay iOS questions or more on minimserver or other Dlna server. 

what would be the simplest or most logical way to organize your digital library for easy sync with jplay iOS?

My content is stored in a 4TB ssd, basically each album has it own folder and cover pic and they are stored under different “genre folder” - jazz, classical, pop/rock……

i previously just use hqplayer desktop library function and manually update all the tag information - artists, genre……

I took the same ssd drive and now set it up with minimserver and let jplay iOS to sync and many albums do not show up and/or shown up in different places…

I have a feeling it properly has nothing to do with jplay iOS or minimserver but probably how I organize them… 

27 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Using Minimserver it doesn’t matter the folder structure (ie genre folder or something else), Minimserver reads the tags inside the tracks and depending on how you configured the indexTag property it will show the related indexes, in other words any tag in indexTag will be shown as index.

This happens with any upnp control app like JPlay or Lumïn or Linn.

If some albums/tracks don’t show up in your library there are likely some errors that you can analyze in Minimserver log.

Using the [folder view] index you’ll be able to browse the library according to the folders structure. You can reach it from JPlay menu entry By Folder/Minimserver.

Which tag editor are you using? Yate/2manyrobots (macOS only) is the one I use and it is very effective, on Windows MP3Tag is a good tag editor.

I just started using MP3 tag. I will need to do a bit more read up on minimserver indextag config.

Also I wonder why my dsd files are automatically converted to pcm using minimserver but if I use minidlna, they will play as dsd?

4 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Minimserver doesn’t do any conversion (unless you explicitly configure MinimStreamer to do it), the conversion can depend only on the player/dac you’re using … which one is the one that convert DSD to PCM?

With minimserver, jplay iOS playing local dsd files will correctly show dsd but when it gets to hqplayer it’s already converted to pcm 32/384.

i am only using the free version of minimserver so no minimstreamer 

if i use minidlna, hqplayer gets dsd source 

Actually if you select PCM in Output mode HQPlayer will convert everything to PCM

this is my HQPlayer embedded configuration that works fine with dsd from Minimserver 

IMG_3128.png

IMG_3129.jpeg

No that’s not the case , in my case hqplayer converts everything to dsd because I set output to sdm. What I was referring to is when I play a dsd file, with minimserver, hqplayer will convert a pcm 32/384 file into dsd

with minidlna, no conversion took place, hqplayer will convert the original dsd into dsd 

I cannot understand … can you elaborate? 

Say I have a .dsf file. Now that I am running minimserver connected to jplay ios, when I play the file, it gets converted to pcm which hqplayer then converted to dsd512

if I run minidlna connected to jplay iOS, when I play the same .dsf file, the original .dsf file gets sent to hqplayer for upsample to dsd512

On 3/23/2024 at 5:11 AM, stefano_mbp said:

@dericchan1 try eventually to restart HQPlayer and then close (swipe off) JPlay and relaunch it

So turns out Miska had confirmed the USB input NAA is currently for pcm only and will convert DSD to PCM so has nothing to do with Minimserver VS Minidlna. 

As to how to organize digital tracks with minimserver, I think I have come up with a temporary solution. It appears minimserver is not properly picking up my Chinese albums in Chinese characters, for example, a Chinese album with 10 tracks, 9 of which in Chinese character while maybe track has the English name say "Sorry, I love you". Minimserver only picked up that 1 track in the entire album. 

So now I installed minidlna for sharing my Chinese albums and Minimserver for other English albums and that worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

@Marcin_gps 

hi, I come across 1 issue I would like to report and hopefully the upcoming update with the “stop” function may address this.

so I use jplay iOS upnp to upmpdcli/mpd in my RPI4. When I press “pause” in the middle of a track, jplay iOS could not “pause” completely, and still spitting out sound every few seconds. 

Tried with mconnect and bubbleupnp - no issue with pausing

cheers

Deric

I do understand, but trying another Upmpdcli/MPD “flavor” can help to troubleshoot your issue … maybe there is some delay in your specific setup

Agreed. It is a really odd issue. Not sure why other upnp control apps can pause cleanly but not jplay iOS.

i also tried jplay iOS to embedded hqp (no rpi4) and that works fine too