IGNORED

Apple lossless to FLAC

I've recently ripped almost my entire library -- about 1250 cds -- into Apple Lossless. Now I'm interested in some servers that don't seem to support this format. Is there any simple way to convert these files to FLAC? Please help. Ripping CDs makes me feel like a short order cook in a diner and I don't really want to do it again if I don't have to.

Best regards and thanks for your help.

Max or XLD will do the conversion for you...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What do you mean by "server". All playback software I know of (Amarra, Pure Music, Decibel, Audivarna, etc) supports playback of ALAC.

What "server" were you thinking of which doesn't support ALAC?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

iTunes for example, will happily play songs, without restarting, in any format it understands. Same is true for all the other music servers I know of.

When you change the sample rate and bit depth in Audio Midi settings, you do need to restart iTunes for that to take effect. Players like Pure Music and Amarra however, adjust the sample rate and bit depth automatically, and do not need to be restarted.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein