IGNORED

Motu M2 or something else?

Reignfire

Question

I was looking for something to power a condenser XLR mic as well as a pair of 250 ohm headphones. The Motu M2 seems to do that but how is it able to power all of this plus a second XLR phantom power through a standard USB 2.0 connection (USB C to USB 2.0 cable)? Is there something better than this in the $100-$200 range? There's also the Wave XLR but I'm not a fan of its plasticky looks. Thank you for any advice.

2 answers to this question

On 9/2/2023 at 10:21 PM, Reignfire said:

The Motu M2 seems to do that but how is it able to power all of this plus a second XLR phantom power through a standard USB 2.0 connection (USB C to USB 2.0 cable)?

Your concern is certainly valid, 

Its probably best to call the manufacturer and ask them for more details about the units limitations based on the type of USB connection feeding it.

Motu does mention a USB C to USB C cable being able to power an M6 sized Motu unit without the extra DC power cable. One could assume there are limitations based on the cable being used to feed the device. Problem is, Motu fails to mention it.

Personally I would look elsewhere because of the lack of details on the device but at the same time I have no other recommendation to offer at the listed price point.

I cannot comment on your technical concerns, but I have an M4 and it works a a treat. It sound quality for recording and playback is shocking for the price.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open