IGNORED

Article: JPLAY for iOS and iPadOS Review

Re VST3 plugins, do I recall correctly that you use Audirvāna in some situations? At least until JPlay works with VST3 plugins, that’s another option. The UI differs, of course.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You recall correctly. However, there's an issue with Hang Loose Convolver VST3 plugin and Audirvana. No clue where the issue is, but both sides are well aware of it :~)

Dang. Sorry to hear that.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

From the description of these to scenarios (“pure” and “ibrid”) is easy to understand that the “pure” one is much lighter on the cpu of the server and we know that the more a cpu is stressed the more the quality of the sound can be affected by this stress.

Though note that Audirvana has always been designed such that any DSP and sending the DSP-converted track over the network are separate steps. Thus you would want to listen/measure during playback both before and after any conversion is finished. Depending on what type of CPU and how much RAM you have, and what if any conversion you are doing, the conversion step may be done very quickly.

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

But I’ve found that Audirvana library management is too heavy and this has a bad impact on performance, my MacBook Pro i7/16GB ram (late 2011) was always running full throttle just to keep the library synchronized for at least 40’ since Audirvana was started, and this is an automatic task … no way to jump it.

My library of 10k+ tracks must be far smaller than yours - Audirvana finishes updating mine in a few seconds. I'm not sure I understand what process you refer to if you say it can't be avoided. The processes I'm thinking of can be turned off by unchecking boxes.

All this is aside from JPlay reducing network traffic. I have seen opinions from developers and engineers that fewer transmissions of larger data segments are better for SQ, and also the opposite, that more frequent transmissions of smaller data segments are better.

• 2 months later...

I've been much happier since I made my own DIY plain vanilla streamer with a mini PC on which I installed a Linux server OS and a UPnP app. This way the UPnP is absolutely bog standard with no fancy proprietary vendor additions or changes, and it Just Works. I'm the one who controls the software rather than depending on a vendor.