IGNORED

I have started my own journey into Backblaze storage

I have discovered that it is likely the checksumming of the files that is causing my uploads to be both ultra slow and bandwidth intense as rsync needs to get every single file from the source, Backblaze, and check it against the local copy. I am reconsidering the checksumming, but haven't stopped doing it yet.

No electron left behind.

I hope you are using a fiber network when using a backup on the net. 20-30Mbps would never work for me.

Using mostly Mac’s with 1 dedicated as a server hidden in the house, Roon uses a couple of SSDs and nvme drives off the server, which Roon ARC uses for streaming over the net to the cars and remote locations.

All in-house devices are backed up to the server using Time Machine to a large hdd. Every quarter, I take the current time machine backup hdd, unmount it, and store it in a safe that’s fireproof and water proof. I then attach an older Time Machine hdd and start the backup process all over again.

Important data is stored on the server and not on the desktop Macs.

Somebody stated using a single server/appliance for a nas is the easiest way to go. Using a single server/appliance has many single points of failure which isn’t good. I have my Roon music files (thousands of ripped cds) duplicated on a few different macs. Disk is cheap, and since I stream 99.999% of my music from Qobuz, I don’t need to buy any new cds, and if I do, they are replicated to multiple remote disks.

So I decided that the checksumming is something I will do infrequently as all my files are on a ZFS pool already, the only real reason to do so would be to verify that the files on BackBlaze's servers have not been compromised in any way. Additionally, it uses a LOT of bandwidth AND time downloading every file and generating a checksum to match to the files on the source.

@Rsmaximasr I am not on fiber and this is not a fast process, but it is a necessary one, imo. Once the files are up on Backblaze, the process is much easier as you only need to upload new files. That goes much faster than the entire library upload because there are fewer of them.

edit: All my files are on Multiple ZFS pools as well as BackBlaze servers. If a situation were to crop up where I was not confident a file backed up from Backblaze was not the same as when it was uploaded, I am confident I will have at least one copy that I can feel confident is correct.

No electron left behind.