IGNORED

Trinnov Alt16 Need External DAC Streamer?

Only if the noise can be heard. Most people can't hear that type of noise, in blind testing, so I do not think that is something to worry about.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Amazing - so it still just blows me away then that people pay for expensive equipment vs. lesser expensive equipment when all it is is confirmation bias?

I know my Trinnov isn't "less expensive" equipment, but it provides much more than just quality components.  I'm talking about an uber expensive DAC streamer vs. a lesser expensive one.  I'm talking about an expensive amp vs. a lesser expensive one, and people saying " it sounds so much better with my speakers".

I mean, it's all confirmation bias and an entire industry of wasted funds has been built upon it lol

18 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Yes until objectively proven otherwise.   

Yeah. I mean it seems pretty widely accepted in the headphone world that a different amp and/or DAC changes the sound or offers a better pairing with a headphone. 

so why then is it that that changes when it comes to hifi?

just trying to understand the nature of it all. 

1 hour ago, Sittler27 said:

Yeah. I mean it seems pretty widely accepted in the headphone world that a different amp and/or DAC changes the sound or offers a better pairing with a headphone. 

so why then is it that that changes when it comes to hifi?

No change.  Same humans.  

"Better pairing" is a potential real factor given that speakers and headphones generally present complex loads to the amp that feeds them.  A consquent effect of a mismatch on the audio signal can be perceptible but, if so, it should be measureable.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No change.  Same humans.  

"Better pairing" is a potential real factor given that speakers and headphones generally present complex loads to the amp that feeds them.  A consquent effect of a mismatch on the audio signal can be perceptible but, if so, it should be measureable.  

I agree. Your measurements are probably the only reason I pick up Stereophile to read it. Good objective data, helps to make a subjectively listening session easier to do. It also can point to things to listen for.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No change.  Same humans.  

Hmmm.  So if better pairing leads to sonic differences between amps on the same speakers given the same settings and all, then doesn’t that give full merit to the argument then that different amps provide audible differences?

or are you saying that once an amp meets a speakers’ requirements for minimum power, it will sound the same as any other amp that also meets the requirements of said speaker?

It is the load ON the amp that is different. Think about it this way. If you live in areas of very in climate weather, one might have the need for Snow Tires W or W/O studs (depending on laws in your area). The condition of the load is different road conditions. Pick the right tool.  I know, a bit simplistic, but it gets the point across. Some amplifiers can handle very complex loads and some can't.  That is all we are talking about, the design philosophy of the brand. Example Sonus-Faber goes for musicality and furniture quality over accuracy. That is what we are really talking about.

I hope this helps.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

19 minutes ago, botrytis said:

It is the load ON the amp that is different. Think about it this way. If you live in areas of very in climate weather, one might have the need for Snow Tires W or W/O studs (depending on laws in your area). The condition of the load is different road conditions. Pick the right tool.  I know, a bit simplistic, but it gets the point across. Some amplifiers can handle very complex loads and some can't.  That is all we are talking about, the design philosophy of the brand. Example Sonus-Faber goes for musicality and furniture quality over accuracy. That is what we are really talking about.

I hope this helps.

Got it. Makes sense. 

so I’m my case, I have Revel F328Be so I’m guessing any amp at my Anthem STR level would do the job the same and not sound different. 
but what you’re saying is others (like perhaps my more finicky Persona 3F) would need the right amp?

I know hardware overkill, what can I say....

20230406_091657.thumb.jpg.2360cedcf28441c6ed69aaad71056cc5.jpg

My office closet :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

BOTH?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590