IGNORED

AVI - How much digital? How much analogue?

Since I`m an 9.1 owner I know what Ash meant with mentioning the word "Headroom": Power without end. When I listen to the speakers it seems like they are capable of taking every load. It`s just awsome...! :-o

White Macbook - Apple Airport Express - AVI ADM 9.1[br]AVI ADM 9 Owners Club

Again, I am not doubting that they are loud or powerful, I just want to know I'm comparing like with like, that is why I so want to understand. Active set-ups do appear to have many advantages.

From Ashley's reply I think I can draw the following:

1. The distortion is very low at all frequencies.

2. It is an RMS power rating ( though I have read this comes out a little higher than when a manufacturer states "continuous music power output" )

3. They are measured into the resistance presented by the driver they are driving ( in the bass drivers case, 5.7ohms I believe - this will of course produce a higher figure than an 8 ohm load )

Nathan

The distortion is low at all power levels and lower than passive designs because it doesn't have to produce as much current as they do. That's all there is to it, there is nothing to come clean about and they are louder and better controlled than passive equivalents, which is a reliable indicator of the power available.

There are so many factors that govern the performance of these speakers that it's a mistake to get obsessed with the power output because it's just one piece of a complex jigsaw.

Ash

I think concentrating on one or two specs of any component is like saying you have the best computer because the CPU is the fastest and it has the most memory. There are far more things that go into making a computer than just CPU and memory. Joe Public will never know that because retailers like to push specs and people like to buy based on specs.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have to say that I'm extremely wary of endlessly explaining the benefits of ADM9.1s on a Forum. I'm happy to discuss matters audio and to answer general questions, but this sounds like an advertorial and is repetitious. Why not email or ring me if you need to more explanation.

I much appreciate your indulgence Chris.

Ashley

Nathan,

I'm sure in time one of the UK mags (hifi news perhaps) will run their standard lab tests on them in the same way they test all the amplifers they review, then you will have the like for like comparison you are looking for.

Martin

iTunes / Media Monkey, PC, Presonus Firebox --> Mackie HR624 mkII Active Monitors, M&K VX7 mkII