IGNORED

Disruptive technologies and airplay

Will airplay be a disruptive technology? I've been thinking of buying a second Squeezebox touch but I've held back because I figure that new products will be streaming out this year. I can imagine airplay becoming embedded in more and more products and simplifying the task of playing music throughout a house.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

From a notice posted by Jason Blackwell of ABI Research yesterday:

"The widespread availability of AirPlay could be a major game changer in home audio and especially networked audio systems. With AirPlay and the support of a growing number of hardware vendors, customers can create cost-efficient whole home audio systems with components from different vendors, and all integrating their existing mobile devices including iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad. Companies like Sonos who were innovators in the integration of Apple devices into their systems could potentially suffer from the effects of AirPlay."