IGNORED

Article: Reevaluating My Music Storage - Update

If my local music files are unavailable for a couple days, while the restore is running, I'm OK with that.

Heh, I winced when I saw that sentence. 🙂 But good that you found the solution that works best for you. Also, the sheer volume of music you've got relative to me makes it much easier for me than for you to consider options that multiply storage needs.

Adding myself to the list of folks interested in reading the next article about 10Gbps networking to the Mac.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 hours ago, firedog said:

Started a trial of Backblaze. 

I have 5TB to backup, most is music files.

So far 4 days have gone by and only about 200GB have uploaded. At this pace, the trial will end before my upload is even finished. 

I only have an ADSL line, but this is still incredibly slow.

Interesting. For me, upload on another service brought the rest of my network speed to a screeching halt, while uploading to Backblaze went fast and didn't interfere with the rest of the network.

Do you have QoS settings or anything else that may be limiting speed to less than the maximum your ADSL is capable of?

I believe Backblaze offers to ship a USB drive for your files, at least in the US, though I don't remember what the cost was.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 hours ago, firedog said:

Started a trial of Backblaze. 

I have 5TB to backup, most is music files.

So far 4 days have gone by and only about 200GB have uploaded. At this pace, the trial will end before my upload is even finished. 

I only have an ADSL line, but this is still incredibly slow.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Interesting. For me, upload on another service brought the rest of my network speed to a screeching halt, while uploading to Backblaze went fast and didn't interfere with the rest of the network.

Do you have QoS settings or anything else that may be limiting speed to less than the maximum your ADSL is capable of?

I believe Backblaze offers to ship a USB drive for your files, at least in the US, though I don't remember what the cost was.

I checked and no, unfortunately Backblaze doesn't offer a hard drive for initial backup, only for restoring if you've lost a bunch of files.

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@bobfa I think this has something to do with the perfect combination of sync type, file system, and filename. A lot of people have has issues with double quotes (") in the name over the years. now I know, after having the issue and looking it up. 

It might be more surprising if the algorithm “realized” it hadn’t backed up the files it failed to detect needed to be backed up.

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, I re-ran the iDrive backup from scratch and have some information about number of files, size of backup and length of time it took to run.

Backup Start Time: Sun Feb 12 22:04:05 2023

Files considered for backup: 336482

Files backed up now: 336482

Backup Set Size: 15.04 TB

Backup End Time: Wed Feb 15 09:36:24 2023

That's roughly 15TB uploaded in 2.5 days if my math is correct.

What's your max upload speed from your ISP if you know? Did you check during the upload to try to see actual speed?

Here we've got 1.2Gbps download but only 40Mbps upload.