IGNORED

The best method to copy or transfer data from one external SSD to another?

I am about to begin preparing to move from my current MacBook Pro to an iMac which I will receive in about a week.

What I want to do in preparation is move data from existing SSD drives to new SSD drives that will arrive today. Currently I have four G-Drive 2TB SSD (formally by G-Technology but now from Sandisk). and one, 1TB SSD. Those drives are used to hold my Master Music Library, a Time Machine backup of my MacBook and Music Library, and Carbon Copy Cloner backups of my Music Library (2) and my MacBook.

I am adding two 4TB Sandisk Pro SSDs. One will house my Master Music Library and one will be my Time Machine backup for both the music library and my new iMac. As far as the G-Drives I will maintain two of the 2TB Drives for Carbon Copy Cloner backups of the music library and the iMac.

What is the best and safest way to transfer data from one SSD to another SSD. These drives have up to 1.5TB on them. Is a simple copy & paste okay. Is it better to use the backups to restore the new SSDs? It there a better method?

Once this is completed and I am sure everything is okay I am going to erase the other SSD backups and use them for other things.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
30 minutes ago, mwheelerk said:
I am about to begin preparing to move from my current MacBook Pro to an iMac which I will receive in about a week.

What I want to do in preparation is move data from existing SSD drives to new SSD drives that will arrive today. Currently I have four G-Drive 2TB SSD (formally by G-Technology but now from Sandisk). and one, 1TB SSD. Those drives are used to hold my Master Music Library, a Time Machine backup of my MacBook and Music Library, and Carbon Copy Cloner backups of my Music Library (2) and my MacBook.

I am adding two 4TB Sandisk Pro SSDs. One will house my Master Music Library and one will be my Time Machine backup for both the music library and my new iMac. As far as the G-Drives I will maintain two of the 2TB Drives for Carbon Copy Cloner backups of the music library and the iMac.

What is the best and safest way to transfer data from one SSD to another SSD. These drives have up to 1.5TB on them. Is a simple copy & paste okay. Is it better to use the backups to restore the new SSDs? It there a better method?

Once this is completed and I am sure everything is okay I am going to erase the other SSD backups and use them for other things.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the existing music drive to a new drive.

Not sure what the best procedure would be for your TM drive. Stopped using it years ago. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull