IGNORED

Anyone Receive Their Fitlet3 or a Time Frame Yet?

Jud

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Jud said:

I wouldn’t suppose measurements would be any different with medical grade vs. original power supply, but will be curious to learn whether that’s true.

Agreed, I would be curious to see how the original power supply measures and if I need something fancy. I do have an older spared IFI IPower + 12v4a PSU.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Jud said:

Question for @Miska, or @dericchan1 tomorrow: What is the inside diameter spec for the barrel plug of the fitlet3's power adapter? I'm guessing it's 2.1mm or 2.5 mm, but which? (Thinking I will buy an inexpensive CUI power supply and try it, and want to get the correct one.)

Edit: Never mind, found the spec.  It's 2.5mm.

It actually comes with a stock 12v3a psu. Perhaps that is pretty decent as well.

31 minutes ago, ericuco said:

For my fitlet2, I have been use HQP Embedded version that includes OS allowing boot from USB stick. The reason for using the Embedded version (vs NAA version) is that Embedded allows computer to have more than on Ethernet port whereas the NAA version requires only oneEthernet port, at least that was how it worked a year or so ago but @Miska may have changed this.

If you use the Embedded version, you do have to disable HQP using:

login as root, no password (or password = password)

systemctl stop hqplayerd

systemctl disable hqplayerd

Thanks Eric, if I use embedded do I need to type in that command to stop hqplayerd and disable hqplayerd for each boot?

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, I have no doubt the included power supply is decent.  Since Miska tested the CUI and found it to have low noise, I figured for about $30 including shipping I could afford to try it out with the Fitlet or elsewhere in my system and see whether it made any difference whatsoever.

I have been using the CUI to power my Mojo2. Sounds great, I could not hear any differences compared to a ipower X 

received the fitlet3 today, still waiting for the transceiver. So first attempt to install HQPlayer Embedded  5.01.1 X64SSE42 image onto a USB drive to boot and connect through cat 6 cable was a failure. 

Went to root, and systemctl stop hqplayerd gives a message audio device not detected (Do I need to actually connect PC and fitlet3 to a dac to remove embedded and the hqpwv?)

After that, I boot the image on the usb drive but Hqplayer desktop (windows 10) wont detect the dac. 

gotta say I am impressed with the overall build of the unit. Very sturdy and substantial!!!

IMG_7173.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

70615414770__EE3A0299-8884-46BC-A9FD-277A85BA50F6.jpeg

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I got mine two days ago. Shipped with Linux Mint (paid with additional fee) but I think I still prefer CLI so re-installed Ubuntu Server. 

I planned to setup my Fitlet3 as the NAA -> Ravenna/AES67 bridge. Because Ravenna daemon only runs on older version of Ubuntu (18 or 20, due to the executable binary is still bounded with old libssl3) so I choose to install v20.04.6.

Unfortunately the stock 5.4 kernel didn’t recognize the on-board ethernet. The Fitlet2 specced with Intel i210 as built-in ethernet but Fitlet3 choose the chip-set style ethernet controller? Such controller have to use current kernel 5.15 or newer to enable it. Kinda frustrating. If you plan to install Ubuntu 20 or older and you didn’t have the ethernet facet card option, you’ll stuck somewhere there. Have to use USB ethernet adapter to continue newer kernel installation.

Luckily I choose to add the SFP+ option when placing the order (it’s Intel i210 controller as well) so everything went smoothly. Build quality is truly remarkable. <3

IMG_7243.thumb.jpeg.1db81e430103dc6f9f66793b2a743209.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. I agree the build quality being top notch. I have now installed the NAA app within linux mint and control the fitlet on/off through x11vnc. Not ideal, but works for the time being.

I have reached out to compulab tech support for instructions on how to disable the lan ports so I can use a NAA image to boot.

cheers

70628972226__59B863EB-B115-4462-A582-758D2F7BC0FE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jud said:

@El Guapo and @dericchan1, do either of you feel so far that there is any difference in sound from your previous setups, either positive or negative?

Jud, so far the fitlet3 sounds as great as my previous set up with a rpi4 as a NAA (I think they sound identical). For both the rpi4 and the fitlet3, i feed an intona between it and the dac, anything passes through the intona there’s zero noise so they just sound the same.

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Hi jud

My previous setup was Up Squared to be the NAA -> Ravenna/AES67 bridge.

Up Squared's NICs support PTP software mode only due to lack of hardware time stamp function and no PTP hardware clock. Fitlet3's Intel i210 SFP+ expansion card supports HW TS and PTP HW clock so after completed the configuration, the Ravenna/AES67 connection become more stable (just IP level, not relate to SQ). Although built-in NICs support HW TS and PTP HW clock but the NIC drivers of kernel 5.15 and 5.19 are not suitable for PTP HW mode -- my only little complain. 🤣 Maybe I'll place additional order for dual RJ45 i210 expansion card to replace the SFP+ or waiting for someone sell his/her Fitlet2. I need multiple ports for PTP...

Guapo

Guapo, can you please advise which NAA image to use? Thanks

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Hi Deric 

I rarely use pre-built NAA image cuz I have special need for Ravenna/AES67. Alway start from standard Ubuntu installation and built by custom packages. And also I don't have USB DACs anymore so it's difficult to make suggestions... sorry la 😅

Guapo

No worries at all. I think I managed to get the NAA image to work now so it’s all good.

cheers

Deric

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Still awaiting mine. Just to be certain: I got a couple of notices, purportedly from DHL, with an order number but no package tracking number, saying I owed money for customs fees. They were in my spam folder, and I trashed them. I assume this is not the way anyone else received shipment notification?

Me came from UPS and i received an email and a txt message to my phone how much I owed for custom.

Deric

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jud said:

Got the notice Monday, Fitlet3 arrived yesterday. Now in the system and operating happily (that is, the Fitlet seems happy and so am I).

Tried a CUI power supply, but wound up preferring the included one. The latter sounded more open and airy to me. (Sighted listening, purely subjective, so take that with a shaker of salt.)

Glad that the fitlet is working solidly as expected. I am also pretty happy with the stock psu. Well I have not yet tried the ipower plus psu that came with my ifi idsd pro dac I have laying around, but I doubt the ifi would be better.

cheers

Deric

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Miska said:

One option is also the CUI medical grade supply I've been recently buying. A lot less leakage currents than the Meanwell one. And still very inexpensive.

I have both Fitlet2 and Fitlet3, but neither one at the moment in constant use, but more for testing purposes. On Fitlet3 I have two OS options on purpose, Windows 10 IoT (ordered with that one) and HQPlayer OS (due to three network interfaces). These are my devices for testing various NAA and DAC options.

I have two plain output NAAs in constant use. In the office Holo Red for the TEAC UD-701N and UP Gateway for Spring 3, Gustard A26 and MuFi M3x DAC. And in livingroom server which is doing a dual job for being HQPlayer Embedded server Marantz SA-12SE, and being a NAA for the T+A DAC200 (both through Intona isolator).

Thanks I have now ordered a CUI SDM36-U-12-P6

cheers