IGNORED

Is AirPlay audiophile quality?

Pioneer started incorporating AirPlay into its new receivers and Denon/Marantz is set to do the same. There is no stopping high end manufacturers incorporating AirPlay into amp or other audio equipments. Now all is needed is confirmation that AirPlay supports high-res audio. What is needed is an iTunes computer, and connected AirPlay amp. There is no need for a DAC to connect directly to the computer. AirPlay appears to be a game changer. What's your view?

I smell flowers. Where is the funeral?

Functionally speaking, what is the difference between this monster

vsx-1021-pioneer.jpg

and an equivalent one with an Airport Express hooked up to it via digital (or maybe even analogue) input? One fewer power cord? Another button for the remote?

There is no need for a DAC.... Somewhere in the chain there is a need for a DAC. Either the DAC is embedded in the internal airport express, or it uses whatever jack-of-all-trades DAC chip Pioneer supplies.

Also, what evidence is there that this will do anything above 16-bit/48kHz?

It's different than an AE simply because you can send your iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone music or video to the Airplay unit.

In other words if you happen to receive a pic or video by email you can simply start it on your phone, press the Airplay icon and send it to your receiver and it will play it on your tv or sound system. No AE, no cables, the only dac is obviously the one that's in the receiver. This will be showing up in preamps, dacs, etc. like crazy this year. With Apples new iOS4.3 you can also send your files that are on your computer the same way. In other words, through the device in your hand. In fact, I just found out it's just been released. Excuse me while I go update my devices!

David

@realhifi

Apart from the AppleTV does anything support video via AirPlay? I know the Marantz AV amps don't and I didn't think the Denon did.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think you may be correct about that. One the other hand I would bet we will see televisions, receivers, etc that will accept video in the next 12 months. It works amazingly well with Apple TV though. To have someone send me a picture, etc and throw it up on the tv is quite cool. It will be very interesting to see where this will all end up but I'm betting we are seeing the tip of the iceburg here and are going to be pretty surprised at what is on it's way.

David

ITunes (and AIFF) happily plays 24/192.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.