IGNORED

Article: Grimm Audio MU1 Music Player Review

26 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Does it only run Roon or are there other choices such as Squeezebox?

From one of the US Grimm dealers:  "It currently supports only Roon. However, there is an update coming out in 2022 that allows it to be used with other controller software. I assume that means they will be adding UpnP/DLNA support. "

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

17 hours ago, 57gold said:

Still not sure I understand its functions / capabilities.  The company's website seems to indicate that it is a DAC 

When I was trying to get a handle on what the MU1 is, it was helpful to understand that it is a digital device only -- it contains no analog processes like your DAC has.  

I think of it as a DDC + server (either 2 or 8 TB storage) + streamer that also has a volume control (if you wish to use that; I don't).  As others have mentioned, attaching it a DAC is very simple as is getting Roon up and running.  

There is a web interface which allows you to try 3 different oversampling options, so trying out these options is rather simple (Chris then took it another step in examining the interaction with DACs that have various filters, which I think is valuable information for a prospective buyer).  Or, you can just use the Grimm suggestion of 4fs and enjoy it.  

My Tambaqui DAC is also a Roon endpoint/streamer (no filters available).  I was using the ethernet input.  The Tambaqui is a very fine DAC and the streamer was very good, but using the ethernet input required ethernet cleaners placed before the DAC to sound its best (which is pretty darn good).  

The Grimm doesn't need those cleaners, at least in my setup and according to my preferences.  And the Grimm's special sauce adds an inviting musicality that is even better than the Tambaqui alone (I was doubtful about this).  When I was considering the Grimm and adding up the dollars it seemed beyond what I wanted to spend.  But an in-home demo blew away those doubts.  It is truly a special unit.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man